AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
ArtMom's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Oct 4, 2022 2:39 AM

Frustration Overload

I have repeatedly tried to connect with someone to help me with my account. We closed our account with Att internet due to the slow speed of DSL, which is all we had access to. A year before we cancelled, I tried a last ditch effort and went on Amazon and purchased a new modem to see if that would help, since our old one was about 20 years old. I have been told by customer service that I am a liar and that there is no way I could get that At&t modem from Amazon and get it to work, so I included a picture of my purchase. I am not a liar or a cheat! That impossible to obtain modem worked for a year before we cancelled our service. Now, At&t wants me to return that modem to them because they say it belongs to them. They have no documentation showing I purchased or leased that modem from them, there is no rental fee associated with that modem on any of my bills since I installed it, but customer service keeps insisting it  belongs to At&t. attached is the email telling me to return “their” equipment. 

I was told the only course of action I could take was to challenge it when I was sent to collections for not returning the equipment. So, instead of having that happen, I bent under the bullying of the agents and difficulty getting anyone to understand what was happening and mailed the modem to At&t today.

After the difficulty and frustration of not having a person that could help, basically being called a liar, and being told I had to return equipment I purchased from Amazon or face collections, I will NEVER recommend At&t to anyone ever again. They basically forced me to give them a $180 modem so I would not be sent to collections.

Constructive

Employee

• 

30K Messages

2 months ago

Any gateway purchased 3rd party is a non returned basically stolen gateway. AT&T doesn’t sell their gateways they lease them. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.6K Messages

2 months ago

The BGW210-700 was never sold to consumers.  You bought stolen merchandise. 

It worked for a year?  That was a fluke.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 months ago

It was never really yours. You got scammed. Unfortunately, AT&T is correct. I'd return it to them to avoid the hassle of Collections, which is not pleasant.

I'd contact NetBetShop and see if they will refund your money. Can't hurt to try.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

2 months ago

@ArtMom 

AT&T does not have an option to own their Gateways, even through any authorized 3rd party retailers. They retain ownership of their proprietary equipment.

This means you must send that Gateway back to AT&T. If you do not, they are full within their right to charge you a non-return fee.

Either you got scammed by that seller or they were clueless about what they were selling.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

thank you to all for your helpful comments. Much more information than I was given yesterday by customer service. I returned the modem and looking into getting information from the seller, but figure it is a lesson learned and money lost. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.