P

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 13th, 2021 9:15 PM

Fraud by 3rd Party Referred to by ATT

I called ATT for email support, but was routed to someone in the ATT billing dept. though  I didn't immediately know it.  When I explained my email problem, he then told me he was in billing and couldn't help me, and would transfer me to someone who could.  I then "supposedly" spoke to someone in ATT technical support, but he also couldn't help me.  This supposed ATT technical person then referred/transferred me to an outside 3rd-party company called Quantom (spelled w/an "o") Web Services, LLC for them to work with me on my issue.

"Frank" and "Joe" (both with heavy Indian accents) then stated that they needed to get into my laptop to investigate the email issue, and supposedly discovered 48 hackers around the country using my network at that time.  They then tried to sell me "security" packages that would prevent this from happening again.  I was now very leery, tried to look them up on the internet, and couldn't find a web presence for QWS.  I did find where this was a scam/fraud that has been perpetrated as far back as late 2017, possibly farther.  All seemed to involve ATT personnel directing ATT customers to these fraudsters.

Fortunately, I paid them no money.  I've changed pws, and kept devices offline as mush as possible, especially overnight.  I have reported this to ATT, but they say it doesn't meet their definition of fraud.  No, I didn't lose any funds (yet), but others have, quite a bit in fact.  And if ATT staff are involved by directing ATT customers to these scam artists, it would seem to me that an internal investigation is warranted.

Either the "billing" person at ATT directed me to someone outside of ATT posing as an ATT technical support person who then passed me on to the scammers, or the ATT technical support person did so.  Who else has had this happen to them? 

I was directed to this forum by an ATT Supervisor once she was told by the ATT Global Fraud Division that they would not do anything about this issue.  She stated someone from ATT on these forums might be able to look into this for me.  Who's willing to actually take up this mantle and run with it?  There's a snake (or 2) inside ATT it would seem, and it would behoove ATT to track it (or them) down and cut off the head(s).

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

There is no one in these forums that are supervisors nor anyone else here in any official capacity. Anyone wanting to charge you or login to your computers are scammers. Never does AT&T need to get access to your computer.  I’m assuming you clicked on a link or called a number on here that scammers have been posting claiming to be AT&T support. In response to a post. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

No, I called an ATT support # found on the ATT website initially-(800) 331-0500 I believe based on my phone call history for 4/7/21.  I’m sure it was not the correct # for email support, but it WAS an ATT support #, and that’s how I wound up with an ATT billing person initially.  I know better than to use any links or phone #s from a BB or forum.  I didn’t call these people; I was TRANSFERRED to them at some point by an ATT employee.  I just don’t know if it was the initial person I spoke with, who stated he was in billing, or the person he transferred me to, who stated he was in technical support.  One of the 2 is in league with the scammers IMO.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.