Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
westsideDQ's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 6:54 PM

Fiber optics installed in neighborhood -

I am asking you to PLEASE, not dig up my garden to place the fiber optic box. Actually, I was OK with it when the contractors showed me the space where my box would be installed. It didn't interfere very much but as I walked around the corner to remove weeds, they had marked another section for a second box. The second box was for my next door neighbor but on my property? I don't think so. I didn't appreciate this move and I'm asking you to please don't even think of tearing up my garden to benefit someone else. Each household should make room in their yard for their own box. This is ABUSE!!   [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

7 years ago

@westsideDQ, you have made a post an a public forum provided for AT&T users to communicate with other AT&T users. You should not post your full name or any identifying or private information such as your address in such a forum. While AT&T employees do look at forum posts from time to time, you should have no expectation that any particular action will come from such a post.

The public utilities normally have the right to access easements and, subject to government approval, place things in them (poles, cabinets).  You might want to check your plat at the recorder for your county to be sure you know where your easements are and avoid spending a lot of money or effort inside of the utility easements. On the other hand, if your flower bed is outside of the easement, AT&T doesn't have the right to construct anything without your approval.

It can be quite difficult to get to the correct people to intervene in your situation.  Did the contractors you spoke with give you a leaflet or anything?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

7 years ago

Sigh.. the sub contractors that att hires to bury fiber cable seems to have a habit of disregarding owners private property rights in preference to expediency, unfortunately, and tend to show up in the local news all over the areas they are actively expanding their fiber to the node service too.

Even though they should show more respect to private property rights, they typically DO have permission of the local governments to do the work, and enjoy the same limited (or imputed) immunity they have, protecting them against lawsuits and so on.

This does NOT make it right, my only point is it makes it very hard to get satisfaction in such cases.

Short of bringing in the local media to report about it, there seems little one can actually to to get greivences properly addressed, and with so many becoming so common, over time, even that option losses effect.

I apologize, while I totally sympathize with you, I honestly have no advice I can offer to improve your situation.

Condolences, and good luck.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I just want to say that I talked to a Supervisor today as I walked my dog
in my neighborhood. He listened to my concern, was very compassionate and
assured me with proof of the blueprint that I was NOT scheduled to get 2
boxes on my property as was discussed earlier by Miguel on the telephone. I
was very thankful to receive these news and he helped set my heart at ease.
I apologize but I don't recall his name at the moment. Thank you very much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.