For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
daburns2's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 8th, 2016 5:47 PM

False Sales Pitch from AT&T Representative

I contacted an AT&T Sales Representative, Christina, through chat on 8/3/16 and was given a quote for new internet service. Today I called AT&T sales to ask a few more questions about the offer and found that the original quote was incorrect by a large amount. Please re-train online sales representatives.

Specifically, the offer Christina listed for me included the 24 MB/s "Max Turbo" package having a no-fee self-install option. Over the phone, I was told this option is only available for the 6 MB/s option. The lack of this $99 fee was a big part of convincing me to consider switching from Comcast, so seeing it re-instated destroys any price incentive I would have for switching. If effect, the false sales pitch from the online sales representative of AT&T has lost a new customer.

Please see below the entire transcript of the conversation. I have put the mention of self-install in bold and underline.

AT&T: Hello and welcome to AT&T! I’d be happy to assist you in setting up services. To get started, can you please provide me with your name and the complete address where you would like to connect service?
Me: Hello. I am seeking a quote for Internet service provided to 66 Barrow Drive, Crystal Lake, IL, 60014. My name is David Burns. This address is a residential house.
Christina: Thank you David for considering AT&T as your provider!
Christina: I can help you with your questions regarding pricing.
Christina: Thank you for providing me the address.
Christina: Just to clarify, does your address have a "Floor 1" on it?
Me: No.
Christina: I appreciate you clarifying the information.
Christina: Good news; TV, Internet, and Voice are available at your address! For your TV service, you have the option of selecting either DIRECTV or AT&T U-verse TV.
Christina: You mentioned Internet only. I'd also like to let you know that by adding TV, you can enjoy Unlimited data at no additional charge (a $30 value)! I’d be happy to compare pricing if you were to add TV to your plan.
Me: No TV, please. Internet only.
Christina: I understand and respect your decision.
Christina: To better assist you, I’d like to ask you a few questions.
Christina: What will you be using the Internet for (i.e. downloading music, watching videos, gaming, pictures, connecting multiple devices, etc.)?
Me: I'd like to see all of your prices. Please list all internet-only offers at your best price, so that I can make a decision as to data capacity.
Christina: Sure thing! One moment please.
Christina: Thank you for patiently waiting.
Christina: We offer the Elite 6Mbps, Max Turbo 24Mbps and the Power 45Mbps internet plans.
Christina: Let me get you the cost of the Elite plan first.
Me: Okay.
Christina: The AT&T High Speed Internet Elite is for $40 per month for 12 months plus taxes, fees and usage. After 12 months, the regular price is for $50 per month plus taxes, fees and usage.
Christina: U-verse Internet Elite provides up to 6Mbps download speed and up to 1Mbps upload speed, which is best suited for surfing the Web, watching video clips, and staying connected at speeds much faster than dial-up.
Christina: There is a $99 installation charge for this package. You have the option to split the amount into 3 monthly installments. However, you do have the option to do self-installation at no cost at all.
Christina: How does that sound?
Me: Fine. Please continue with the other plans.
Christina: Great! We also offer the 24Mbps.
Christina: The AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo is for $50 per month for 12 months plus taxes, surcharges, and usage. At the end of 12 months, the regular price is $60 per month plus applicable taxes, surcharges and usage.
Christina: U-verse Internet Max Turbo gives you download speed of up to 24Mbps and upload speed of up to 3Mbps. This plan provides blazing fast speed for downloading movies, video chat, watching streaming video, and playing games online.
Christina: There is a $99 installation charge for this package. You have the option to split the amount into 3 monthly installments.
Christina: You have the option to self-install your AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet at no charge. The installation process is actually very easy. Your self-installation kit contains step-by-step instructions along with color coded cords to ensure proper set up. The number for Technical Support is also included should you need any further assistance.
Me: Fine. Please continue.
Christina: We also offer the Power 45Mbps.
Christina: The AT&T High Speed Internet Power is for $60 per month for 12 months plus taxes, fees and usage. After 12 months, the regular price is for $70 per month plus taxes, fees and usage.
Christina: U-verse High Speed Internet Power gives you download speed of up to 45Mbps and upload speed of up to 6Mbps. This plan provides blazing fast speed for emailing large files, downloading movies, video chat, watching streaming video, and playing games online.
Christina: There is a $99 installation charge for this package. You have the option to split the amount into 3 monthly installments.
Christina: Our first available installation date is August 04.
Christina: Does this package sound like something you would be interested in ordering?
Me: Are those three the only internet-only offers available?
Christina: Yes, that is correct.
Christina: Which of these internet plans work for you?
Christina: Can I ask which of these internet plans work for you?
Me: I am currently using Comcast internet service. I am quoted at $40/month (after the first year) for 24 MBPS service. This is lower than the price you have listed.
Me: Can AT&T offer me a better price?
Christina: I appreciate the information. Pricing and promotions are consistent for all of our customers. We are unable to change any prices or offer any promotional deals or rebates that are not already stated online.
Christina: When given the chance to compare U-verse with other Internet providers, you'll likely find that we provide fast, more reliable and more stable Internet for the price.
Christina: Let's go ahead and place your order today.
Christina: What is great about this plan is that your monthly equipment lease fee is waived for you.
Me: Comcast has waived equipment charges as well, because I am a historical customer.
Me: I have spoken with users of AT&T and have found that the service is very similar to that of Comcast. The decision comes down to price.
Me: I am very happy to switch, but there is no chance of me paying more for the same service.
Christina: I understand and respect your decision.
Christina: Our motto is Keep Calm, Your Internet is on! You can rely on our service to keep you up and running. According to reliability metrics, U-verse Internet service is 99.9% reliable, so customers can stream, surf, game and download worry free.
Christina: In addition to the reliable Internet speeds, you’ll also get anti-virus software, parental controls, and access to over 30,000 Wi-Fi hotspots nationwide at no extra cost!
Christina: May I offer any additional assistance for you today?
Christina: Do you have any additional questions that I may assist you with today?
Me: No, thank you very much for the information.
Christina: It's been my pleasure assisting you today. Thanks for considering AT&T for your communication needs.
No Responses!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.