abhijit123's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 20th, 2015 5:52 AM

Equipment fee $7.00/mo

Recently I upgraded my ATT Uverse internet account to 24 Mbps. Customer service agent agreed to offer me @$57.00 / mo for 24 Mbps. Comcast offer in my area was 100 Mbps @$39.99 for first 12 months. ATT agreed to upgrade my Uverse gateway as well. I was told specifically that there would be no additional charge. After first month's bill, I am seeing an additional $7.00 internet equipment fee. Did anybody face similar issue and why ATT agents mislead customers. This means that I would be paying $64.00 for 24 Mbps compared for $39.99 I would have opted Comcast.

Thanks

Abhijit

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This is surely not an acceptable explanation. When I am with ATT Uverse internet for last 3+ years. I am enjoying a discount on 18Mbps service that I used to get. When discount ended I wanted to switch to Comcastt. During my call to disconnect service, ATT offered to upgrade me to 24Mbps and replace the gateway at no cost. I was quoted that total charge per month would be $57 for first one year ($15 discount for the first year) If I was told that there would be monthly charge for the service plus equipment rental I surely would have opted for Comcast. The excuse can't be that customer service agents were not trained.I feel cheated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am a new customer of AT&T and I was informed that this $7 fee was for leasing modem/wireless Router/Residential Gateway (RG). However, if I have my own compatible modem, there will be no additional charge. I have purchased my own compatible modem and now AT&T customer service says, that they have to charge "$7 service fee" instead of equipment rental of $7. Either way I have to pay additional $7??I am already looking into comcast option.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@RoCraze wrote:

I am a new customer of AT&T and I was informed that this $7 fee was for leasing modem/wireless Router/Residential Gateway (RG). However, if I have my own compatible modem, there will be no additional charge. I have purchased my own compatible modem and now AT&T customer service says, that have to charge "$7 service fee" instead of equipment rental. I am already looking into comcast option.

As of Jan., ALL equipment is leased and will incur a monthly fee. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

They did the same to me and I was a loyal customer for years!! Completely unacceptable. They will deceive you on this after you already paid for the modem before. Totally unacceptable!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I was told by the ATT that I can return my old router to ATT (via UPS) after installing my new one, and ATT will adjust the monthly bill to waive the equipment fee.  So, I trusted ATT. I went out and bought a router.  Then called ATT to have the fee removed from my bill onlyto be told that I can't do it.  

ATT has lied.  I cannot return the router that I bought.  I cannot get the rental fee removed even though I was.  The employee blatantly lied and now I'm at a loss.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

The moment I get a chance, I go elsewhere for my services.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@tomeronetwo wrote:

I was told by the ATT that I can return my old router to ATT (via UPS) after installing my new one, and ATT will adjust the monthly bill to waive the equipment fee.  So, I trusted ATT. I went out and bought a router.  Then called ATT to have the fee removed from my bill onlyto be told that I can't do it.  

ATT has lied.  I cannot return the router that I bought.  I cannot get the rental fee removed even though I was.  The employee blatantly lied and now I'm at a loss.  This is absolutely ridiculous.

The moment I get a chance, I go elsewhere for my services.

Equipment fee is unavoidable.  Everyone pays it.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

You can use your own modem, with the dsl service. OR, you can use theirs.

With u-verse service however, you have to use their devices, and, as noted, you do have to pay the rental fee.

I realize we all want to get as much as we can, for as little as possible, and agents do sometimes mis-represent what is actually available, but to be fair, all the "gotchas" are fully disclosed on their web site, at the very least (and in the fine print writting on the paperwork you have to sign to get service) and one of them is, and I realize it ain't fair to you, but it's in the terms of the contract, they can alter the deal within reason, after the fact.

They have to give "fair" notice and so on, in writting (which is why you need to read and make sure you understand everything you are agreeing to) before they change it.

In my case, I got an e-mail letting me know, my base internet price is going up by three dollars.

I have been reading about the start of the rental fee's for months now.. it is not new news.

Anyhoo.. good luck and good life. sorry you feel like you got burned.. but 60 bucks a month, more or less, is a pretty good price for service in todays market.

Oh, I just called comcast about the intro price:  It starts out at about 30 bucks a month to start, and jumps to 65 bucks after that year is up. just thought I'd share.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Yes, same thing happened to me. There was a problem with my internet connection. When I called AT&T to fix it, they sent a technician. He installed a new router and took my old one back. He confirmed that there won't be any aditional charges. Next month, they started charging me an equipment rental fee.

When I called the customer service they agreed to refund the money for my old router, but I have to pay the equipment rental fee. They don't allow you to purchase routers anymore. This is really annoying.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I had the same problem, I cancelled my service. They are not returning the charges for my old modem.. They want to keep my RG, Charge for the equipment Rental and want their MODEM back. Totally unfair!!!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I totally agree with you should read my post and see what they did to me. I put mine under uverse billing.

"Ridiculous Ripp Off getting charged a monthly fee for a modem that was replaced under warranty"

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.