For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Sblanchat's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, May 15th, 2016 3:50 AM

Email password yahoo

I do not have an att account but I have a yahoo email account. How do I change the password to my account & why is this so complicated to do?!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 years ago

So the account was a Yahoo account ending is SBCGLOBAL. NET never had a bill, and it was a free email account.

Ok Here is an update on the Lockout. I called back later that day because I thought Dad had an old DSL account. I gave the customer service lady the phone number my dad gave me. Then she asked me what business is it associated with.... I let her know that the number was a house phone from over 20 years ago. I google the number, and it came up with a hair salon, so I let her know the name of the business. Then she asked what the SS# and I couldn't provide that. I also want to know my account would be associated with a hair salon? WAS my account HACKED!?!? I texted my Dad in the middle of the call, and he said he never had a DSL account. The lady then proceeds to tell me that she will get tech on the phone to get the account unlocked. I waited on hold for about ten mins and a new lady picked up and asked how can I help you. I let her know I was waiting for the tech to unlock my email and I didn't know I was getting transferred. She couldn't open the account she said she never heard of @sbcglobal.net!! She was going to TRANSFER ME BACK TO THE SAME DEPARTMENT! UGH..... I stopped her and tried to explain the whole situations and then my phone got disconnected.

Ok, so what if I did have an old DSL account over ten years ago.. How would I even know what the phone number would be that is associated with it?

I think what I will do is call them back and see if they can look me up a different way and ask for the old phone number that was associated with me if there is any.

Thanks,

Kristina

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

@KristinaAnd, sometimes, and keep in mind, I help out others to find answers, and I'm actually not bad at it, but once in a while, calling into the regular customer services representatives, i want to bang my head against a wall, so I know how ya feel.

This is definatly a grey area, and one ALL the involed companies will have to resolve quickly.. anyhow, the free accounts are definatly maintained by Yahoo, no matter who is in control of them.

Follks may not like it, but as a favor to the account holders, they are requiring folks to verify ownership of the accounts, before letting just anyone in.

Yes, asking one for a phone number, lityterally 20 years old is potentially frustrating, as I'd be pressed to remember my old bell south number from when I lived in a differant place 30 years ago. I mean, who keeps bills from that long ago? (Frankly, I'm suprised ATT does, but that is another matter.)

Anyway's, I am going to sugest (and this goes for ANYONE reading this) sending a private message to trhe care team, and let them do some research and see if they can verify your identity enough to get your account unlocked.

Pick one of their care team links (any will work) and send a message with your name, account, phone, contact email, best time to connect with you, and a message with your needs. Give them a couple days or so to get back with you, and I hope they can help.

U-verse problems, ATTU-verseCare.
Billing/other problems ATTCustomerCare
Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.

Good luck

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is *not* solved!

After locating the entry marked "change your password", it *should* be self-explanatory from there, but actually, you are redirected to the page declaring that "The option you selected is managed at 'myAT&T'"

Once you click that link, you are directed to select the email account type (personal or business) and then login with an myAT&T ID and password.

But, doing this directs you to a page where you can change the password on your AT&T Access ID.  It dos NOT permit you to change your Yahoo email password!

HOW DO YOU CHANGE YOUR YAHOO EMAIL PASSWORD?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am presently having this problem.  I saw the Yahoo security notice today and decided this would be a good time to change my email password.  

I have an existing sbcglobal.net and yahoo.com email address that are linked.  I have a UVERSE account.  The sbcglobal.net account was opened when AT&T was my dsl provider.  The yahoo account was once independent but became linked.  I use them both interchangeably and often, and have emails in this account for about 10 years.

I logged into mail.yahoo.com and chose my user profile and then went to the change password menu.  It redirected me to the ATT site and I changed my password.

When I log into the mail portal via att.net login screen, I use my new password.

When I log into the mail portal via mail.yahoo.com, it accepts my old password.

My email client Outlook has no problem sending or receiving using my old password (it logs in through the yahoo domain)

My mobile phone email client also has no problem sending or receiving using my old password (it logs in through the yahoo domain)

So clearly the password change is not propagating to the yahoo.com entities except when logging in through the AT&T portal.

Not good.

I called Digital Assistance and they essentially are a place for password recovery.  While they suggested general advice that is all client-side (clear cache, use another browser, etc.), they had no real help for the essence of the problem.  So they connected me to UVERSE technical support.

I spent time with UVERSE tech support and at the end of the time (all told >1hr with both contacts), they took my number and escalated internally and will call back.

The troubling thing is that most of the solution effort is about my side when clearly something is broken on the ATT/Yahoo side.  I have successfully changed passwords before, so something has changed.

I spent time in the Yahoo environment looking for a way to change the password that would not redirect me to the ATT site, but that didn't succeed.

So here we are.  Fortunately there has not been an incursion into my email that I can see, but it is very distrubing that I cannot change the password for my main email account.  In fact, I now have two passwords that work depending on the login portal used.

I will update here if I find any resolution.

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

8 years ago

After hearing about Yahoo data breach, I tried changing yahoo email password.   When I click on password change in yahoo it directs me to ATT.  I change my password at ATT but new password is not changed to yahoo....Anyone figure this out?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

@BruinEric

I spent about two hours trying to solve the same problem as you.  I have a yahoo.com that got linked to a sbcglobal.net account some years ago. I use the yahoo account to check my email.  I used to use the sbcglobal.net account only for checking how close I was to my monthly internet usage so that I didn't exceed the data cap.

After hearing about the Yahoo security breach today, I went to change my Yahoo email password, but it would drop me off at AT&T's web site.  While there, I could change my sbcglobal.net password just fine, but my yahoo.com password was still the old one.

I'm not entirely sure what I did, but after some messing around, I finally got my yahoo account to change so that it's the same as my new sbcglobal.net one.

I THINK what I did was log onto Yahoo using my sbcglobal.net ID.  That was kind of weird, because I always log onto Yahoo using my yahoo ID.  But it let me in with my sbcglobal.net ID, and I THINK from there I went to the link in the account settings to change the password.  It went to the same (discouraging) AT&T password change page as before.  However, once I changed the password, I logged out of both AT&T's site and Yahoo, and then logged into Yahoo under my yahoo ID, using the new password, it and it let me in -- the Yahoo password got changed to the new one.

I THINK this is what I did, having experimented around for the past two hours, and getting quite confused with all the googling and trying out possible solutions that other people have posted in message board forums.  Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure what I did, but all I know is it's possible to successfully change your sbcglobal-linked Yahoo email password.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Wow.  I really think what you mention is working for me.  I will continue to look if there are any issues -- but after following this process (logging into mail.yahoo.com using the sbcglobal.net login and OLD password instead of the yahoo.com login with OLD password), then doing the change password process, it really does look like this has propagated to the yahoo server. 
Since doing this, when I try mail.yahoo.com and try logging in with yahoo.com login and OLD password it no longer works. 
My Outlook mail app prompted me to type in the new password. 
Wow, what a very particular process.  I hope others read and follow. 
Thank you. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am in the same EXACT boat.  EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING not to be  able to change my yahoo sign in password, especially since the recent security breach! 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

If you have a merged account you are taken directly to AT & T where it is possible to change your password for that but virtually impossible to re-set Yahoo mail password!  The representative I talked to yesterday said it was also changed for my Yahoo but she was wrong.  I can still get into my Yahoo mail using my old password and am still being hacked!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Me too!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.