Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
Grammyymidge's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Aug 10, 2015 2:18 PM

Confustion on Availability

We plan on building a home in the Hatton, AL, community on a property currently with an older home which will be torn down. Per the map at www.broadbandmap.gov, high speed internet is supposed to be available at the property and the property just west and adjacent to us has an active U-Verse Internet service. So I am totally confused when I call AT&T and check on service I am informed that high speed internet service is not available. When I provide the information I above I am told an engineer will go to the property and research why there is a conflict. Problem is no one ever comes to check it out later I am again informed that service is not available. Can someone please explain why there is a conflict between what is being reported to the Federal Government and what I am being told by customer support?

pedrochin

Guru

• 

638 Messages

6 y ago

Do you know if the old house had Internet service?

The other properties with Uverse, how many feet away are the houses from yours?

That broadband map isn't provider specific.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

pedrochin thank you for your response. Please see the items below in response to your questions.
Do you know if the old house had Internet service?
The old house has never had internet service. No one has resided there in 14 years. Previous resident was an older individual that was not comfortable with the internet.

The other properties with Uverse, how many feet away are the houses from yours?

There are three properties on the road. From east to west, the first has no construction and occupies roughly 830 feet of road frontage. Was once used for planting crops, now is an open field. The second property is the one in question and occupies roughly 664 feet of road frontage. The third has a home where the active U-Verse service is located and is approximately 664 feet from the property in question..

That broadband map isn't provider specific.

The broadband map is provider specific. It shows AT&T as the one offering wired broadband at my property. I would give you the link but it shows the propery address which is restricted from being shown in this forum.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

6 y ago

The availability checking tool is usually pretty good, but there are gaps, and that is what the folks on the phone use to determine availability or not.

Obviously, you already tried the manual address verification, and for whatever reason, no one that you know of, ever came by to verify that the property even exists.

I found an article that might be of passing interest to you, though to be honest, will be of little real help: http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/06/internet-nightmare-att-sells-broadband-to-your-neighbors-but-not-to-you/

You can try the ATT care team, to see if they can be of any help:

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Beyond that, I really can't think of anything else to suggest.

Good luck.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

Tigereyze, thank you so much for your input. You are right about the article being interesting but not much help for my situation. Your suggestion of going to the AT&T care team is not likely to help. Currently I am not an AT&T customer so the odds are they will not be very willing to help. Since they are the monopoly in the area there is no incentive to try to help a single potential customer when they have business from all the other addresses in the area. I'll try though, but I have little hope they any help will be coming from them. Anyway, thanks for trying to provide a solution.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

6 y ago

Actually, they might be able to do a manual address check, which is a step to becoming a customer, which was why i suggested them.

I do find it puzzling that when you are in an area where u-verse is expanded into, and addresses around you have it, that they can't add you on as well.

The legacy DSL, that is understandable due to the limited number of ports.

But unless there are already a lot of folks living around you already hooked up, service connection capacity should not be an issue, and your neighborhood description sounds like low population density, not high.

I am sure this has already been done, but one can check to see if the address in in the local 911 database. If it is not, that might be why they "can't find it". Since a house was already there previously, obviously, it would already have to be, but takes little effort to check, just to make sure.

Other than going with another service provider, if available, I honestly have no idea what else to recomend.  Good luck.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.