Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Jan 23, 2020 10:10 PM

Collection scam for closed account through calls and mail from a company called Credence

My daughter had UVerse internet and television service until summer 2018, when she closed her account. She recalls that it took multiple phone calls and about 2 months to close the account; she switched her service to Google Fiber, which cost less in her area and offered a better television package.

​This weekend, an extremely abusive agent from Credence, a bill collector, called her and tried to shake her down for $163. When she told him the account had been closed for a year and a half and that she had been informed that her balance was 0 when she was finally able to close the account, he became abusive and tried to force her to give him her banking information over the phone. We concluded he was a scammer trying to empty her bank account.

​However, a check of the credit agencies revealed that Credence had reported her to Experian for outstanding debt. We contested the report and Experian expunged it from her credit record.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? If so, how do you verify that AT&T indeed closed your account and that there are no outstanding charges. She no longer has her account number. She was frankly so disgusted with the difficulties and delays she experienced while trying to end her UVerse service that she intended never to do business with AT&T again.

If there's a way we can determine if, unbeknownst to her, AT&T was still billing her for service after her account was closed and has recently turned that account over to a collection agency, I need to know how to do that. I have literally been an AT&T customer for more than 30 years, and despite some bad experiences of my own, have stuck with AT&T internet and DirecTV service in my market because we had a similarly bad experience trying to end our service with Comcast when we switched to DirecTV (Comcast kept claiming that we still owed them money and made it impossible to end the service) that I swore I would never deal with THEM again.

​ If AT&T is using the same tactics, I'm really to file an antitrust (Edited per community guidelines) to gain access to options that don't jack you around for switching providers. Any insights?

Responses

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

a month ago

Did she return all the equipment within 21days of closing the account?

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
kelly_a

Scholar

• 

313 Messages

Is there a way to confirm DTv has received returned equipment? took my receivers to UPS store the same day I discontinued service, but UPS batch ships returned equipment so you dont get a tracking number, just an untrackable ”reference” number.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

@skeeterintexas To my recollection, yes she did. I contacted AT&T. They would neither confirm nor deny that they sold debt to Credence. What they DID tell me was that she owed $48.90, NOT $163 as the Credence debt collector had informed my daughter. (He then offered to settle for $114 if she would give him her banking information over the phone.)

We went to an AT&T store, got them to help us connect with their billing department, and paid them what they said we owed, as we have absolutely no way to prove we don't owe it. We sent the equipment back. If we received a receipt for that, we can't find it.

What chaps me is that the process to end your service is inscrutible, arduous, bureaucratic, and regardless of whether you received assurances that you don't owe anything else--which our daughter had--they can extort you for more money later.

AT&T and other providers are ripe for a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) for the billing practices and the rigamorole they put customers ending their service through. The only reason I'm still with AT&T is that my only alterative is Comcast/Xfinity, and I had a similar, but much worse, experience with them. IMO, none of the choices are consumer-friendly or fair and honorable in their dealings with customers.

(edited)