CraigOS26

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Fri, Feb 23, 2018 3:31 PM

Can't Load AT&T Hm Pg ... start.att.net

Win 7-64 Hm Prem --  Firefox 58 & IE 11

Neither Browser can load AT&T Hm Pg -- start.att.net --

In FF I see -- "waiting for static.jade.synacor.com..." at bottom left.

Have tried DNS Flush in Admin Cmd Prompt, FF Safe Mode, new FF Test Profile, cache-History Deletes & Site loaded a few times on either Browser and then refuses from then on.

AT&T Sppt Supv ack'd a problem with separation from Yahoo and suggested Chrome as browser. No thanks.

Any new suggestions are appreciated.

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

3 years ago

The start.att.net web page needs static.jade.synacor.com to operate (saw that after looking at start.att.net's page source).  For some reason your FF is unable to access it, or possibly your system.

I always suggest using another browser for comparison to see if you get the same behavior.  If you do then you can suspect something outside the browser (i.e., your system) has a problem.  Of course running FF with a clean profile is more or less the equivalent of using "another" browser.  But still it never hurts to try using some other browser.  If not chrome, then one of the many others.

Which brings us back to static.jade.synacor.com.  Do you have any IP blockers installed that might block static.jade.synacor.com.  Anti-virus software?  Running on a VPN?   An entry in your hosts file?  I'm just throwing some stuff "out there" in the hopes it might ring a bell with you.

Final thought:  have you rebooted your computer through all of this?  And finally none of this has anything to do with the unmerging of email or anything else with yahoo.

CraigOS26

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the Reply.

Wouldn't install Chrome JUST for this one Pg even IF it worked.

IE 11 worked awhile and then Quit loading permanently.

No IP Blockers I know of: Cookie AutoDelete White-lists the Hm Pg address.

Yes on Re-Starts since issue.

I even turned uBlock Origin OFF for the site - no difference.

I update Hosts File via mvps.org site and don't understand the list to know if it's THE factor here.

ESET EIS Security Suite worked since Day 1 of - start.att.net - I can't believe in the last 5 -7 days something that major changed.

I'm giving up to wait on a miracle or AT&T modification. A FF Forum Moderator loaded it OK.

Thanks for the Reply.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same problem on both Firefox, 60.0.2, and Chrome on Windows 10, 64-bit.

I don't have any IP blockers installed.  I do, of course, run anti-virus, both McAfee and Malwarebytes Pro, and have for years, but this problem just started in the last week.  I got it to load yesterday after running CC Cleaner on files and apps and DNS cache and rebooting.  Now today, the same problem is back.

kathy500

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

I am having the same problem. It started this week and the only time it has loaded was this morning and it worked on all of my browsers then.  BUT, after I exited my browser and cleaned the temporary files, and tried to load the home page again, I got the same "waiting for static"  and it never loaded and still won't. I tried it on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Pale Moon, and none of them will load it. What is going on?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

CraigOS26 said:

Wouldn't install Chrome JUST for this one Pg even IF it worked.

I said try another browser for comparison.  The intent was to see if the problem is browser specific or more global.

No IP Blockers I know of: Cookie AutoDelete White-lists the Hm Pg address.

- - -

I update Hosts File via mvps.org site and don't understand the list to know if it's THE factor here.

ESET EIS Security Suite worked since Day 1 of - start.att.net - I can't believe in the last 5 -7 days something that major changed.

No IP blockers?   Yet you updated your hosts file with over 14000 sites (I downloaded and looked at it in my text editor) to block (that's what the hosts file mostly does) and you don't call that a major change?  That's as global as it gets!  If you didn't understand the purpose of the hosts file why did you tamper with it?  I have to believe that hosts update is the cause of your problem.  However no one is going to go through 14000 entries to cross check that it truly is your problem.  I recommend that somehow you need to revert back to your original hosts file.  If you can't do that then edit the hosts file (it's just a text file) to keep only the first two entries:

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost #[IPv6]

On unix based system the hosts file is located in /etc/hosts.  Don't know anything about windows where it's located.

Note, if you have been previously running with that hosts file successfully then I assume they made an update that may have "broken" things.  The file I downloaded to look says it was last updated April 15'th.  It's still worth the experiment to see if it truly is the culprit.

Also, I know what that hosts file is trying to do, i.e., block ads and other unwanted stuff from various sites.  But sometimes mistakes are made.  And the sites themselves know this kind of stuff exists and try to fight it.  It's a constant "arms race" between the ad blockers, the sites trying to fight against both the ad blockers and various ways to fight the sites who fighting the ad blockers (yes that last one happens too).

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

2 years ago

So, any suggestions for those of us who have not edited our host file or running an IP blocker?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

For browsers that supports addons/extensions (e.g., firefox, chrome, safari, and others) you can usually find ad blocking extension/addons.  Ad Block Plus (ABP) is a popular one.  So is uBlock Origin.  There are others too.  These work from scrips/tables that are continually updated.  But these tables have nothing to do with your hosts file.  Due to the constant updating they are pretty accurate and can easily be controlled to override the blocking if necessry.  Read up on them.

Of course as I said previously the web sites are well aware of these ad blockers and if they are polite will just tell you to remove (disable) the ad blocker if you want their page to display at all or correctly.   These ad blockers usually have an interface to make it simple to disable by clicking a button (ABP certain does). 

As I also said scripts also exist to detect the sites detecting the ad blockers that try to bypass the "please remove/disable your ad blocker" warnings.  But these are usually run through yet another add on.  The script runner goes by the name greasemonkey, tampermonkey, and  possibly others.  There are many scripts for these to do lots of things besides just anti-adblocking scripts.  Here's a little article on these things.  The war goes on.

FWIW I use ABP and anti-adblocker greasemonkey scripts with my firefox.  ABP alone is enough to stop att and yahoo mail from displaying their ads.  No need for anti-adblock killers there.  Admittedly it's getting harder to stay ahead of the ad war.  Web sites keep coming up with ways to aggravate you.  And that why the data for ABP and others is constantly being updated.  Back and forth it goes.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

2 years ago

I'm not sure who's post this is in response to.  I am using Ad Block Plus as an add-on to Firefox, and have been for a couple of years.

I'm not clear on how this plays into the AT&T mail load hanging at "waiting on static.jade.synacor.com".  I did some internet searches that proposed there may be a browser program security option setting relating to allowing or disallowing site "redirects", but I haven't found a setting in Firefox yet that seems to relate to such an option.

I did notice that I was able to load the AT&T mail page just now.  It had failed multiple times earlier today on both Firefox 60.0.2 and Chrome.  I haven't changed anything after attempting to fix it by running file and application cleans with DNS cache flush setting on CC Cleaner this morning, which didn't help earlier today.  Why it loaded just now is beyond my comprehension.  I don't feel confident the problem won't return, as I had it working a couple of days ago after following that CC Cleaner process, then it failed the next day and this morning.

kathy500

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

sherrb1158, that's exactly how mine did this morning. I opened my browser and the home page loaded. I tried it on the other browsers I mentioned previously and they were working too. Then, all I did was close my browsers, ran ccleaner and then tried to load the home page again and it would not do it. If it was on our end, why is it happening to so many people and why does it work part of the time when we don't do anything different and why isn't it happening ALL the time?

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

@sherrb1158 - My post 6 reply was to the OP.  You followed up in post 7 which I interpreted as asking about the end of my post 6 about ad blockers.  I didn't remember your post 4.  It's hard (for me) to keep track on "who's on first" when trying to reply to the OP specifically as opposed to the "me too's".  Frankly I don't trust any of these so call cleaning apps.  They may end up deleting some critical piece of code. 

Both you and @kathy500 I would recommend running your browser with a clean profile and see if that works (profile is the data maintained by the browser, for firefox read this for the general method and maybe this too for windows).  See if everything works then.  If so run your cleaner and see if everything still works.  I have no specific explanation as to why the error shows up referencing static.jade.synacor.com.  But I do know it's specific to your systems since no one else is complaining.  So something is breaking your browsers.  You need to look somewhere else in your system or something outside the browser you did to your system.  Those so called cleaners are a good suspect.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

2 years ago

kathy500,

Now I'm really confused, because I was thinking running the CC Cleaner DNS cache flush might have been what allowed mine to start working a couple of days ago, but then it failed like you described after closing my Firefox browser and re-opening it later.  Sooo, when it wouldn't get past "waiting on static.jade.synacor.com" again today, I tried the CC Cleaner file and app clean with DNS cache flush checked again ..... it still wouldn't work.  Then, a few hours later I tried it again after reading updates from this thread .... but doing NOTHING additional to my settings, and all the sudden it worked.

I wish someone could make some sense of this.  I'm only getting into AT&T mail to keep the spam and trash cleaned out, as I'm trying to wean myself off of it because of the "Oath agreement" issue that I DO NOT agree with and want my mail off of AT&T because I don't want them harvesting my email data and selling it, but I have 20 years worth of using this email address and it's a long process to get off their system.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

2 years ago

_xyzzy_,

Thanks for your response and patience.  The only recent changes to my system were the MS Win10 1803 Creators update and the subsequent update to Firefox 60.0.2 that it required.  I keep my system up to date, albeit in a deferred manner as much as possible to avoid initial bugs.  (I was purposefully running on an earlier FF release due to resource usage issues with apparent disk thrashing I couldn't resolve in newer releases.)  However, both of those updates occurred around 7-10 days prior to me starting to have this issue with the "start.att.net" load hanging at  "waiting on static.jade.synacor.com".

I understand your concern with CC Cleaner possibly deleting something it shouldn't.  However, I do keep my logs and backup my registry before running.  In the six or more years I've been using CC Cleaner I haven't had any real issue.  The Windows support folks at my recent Fortune 10 company used CC Cleaner on a regular basis for more experience desktop users who had some privileges for some install/customize functions.  I was primarily a big iron iSeries database analyst, with some mid-tier UNIX and iSeries/AS400 admin training and experience, but I don't even TRY to keep up with all of this stuff any longer.  ; -}  So, I'm not totally ignorant, but not a techno-geek on the MS platform, by ANY stretch.   Hopefully, that gives you some understanding of my experience, as well as lack thereof, and how rusty I am.  I am more than willing to try to troubleshoot on my end by foregoing the CC Cleaner and sticking to Administrator commands to flush DNS cache, etc. instead of using CC Cleaner.

Now, as to the part of your post where you tell Kathy500 and I that "But I do know it's specific to your systems since no one else is complaining."  That is not actually the case.  There are other hits out on the internet, such as those I have found, although with no answers, on CNet, "Mozillazineorg", "Bleepingcomputercom", etc., where others ARE having this issue with this EXACT problem on "start.att.net" with loading the exact same site.  I think many users of AT&T mail aren't looking at the "loading messages" at the bottom, or don't know how to deal with reaching out to get support.

As to your concern "So something is breaking your browsers", then it's breaking in both current supported releases of Firefox and Chrome, with minimal default settings changes ... at least in my case, and I surmise in Kathy500's also.

So, could we please look at this again from a fresh perspective .... any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

Now, as to the part of your post where you tell Kathy500 and I that "But I do know it's specific to your systems since no one else is complaining."  That is not actually the case.  There are other hits out on the internet, such as those I have found, although with no answers, on CNet, "Mozillazineorg", "Bleepingcomputercom", etc., where others ARE having this issue with this EXACT problem on "start.att.net"

I don't know what you searched on because I can't find even the ones you say (would have helped if you included the links).  Doesn't matter though.  It's still a small subset of users IMO.

As to your concern "So something is breaking your browsers", then it's breaking in both current supported releases of Firefox and Chrome, with minimal default settings changes ... at least in my case, and I surmise in Kathy500's also.

I think I mentioned a number of times in this thread about profiles, i.e., the data maintained by the browser.  It doesn't matter how many times you update or revert your browser, they will all continue to use their same associated current profiles.  It's the profile that's significant, not the browser version using it.  It' why I suggest always tring some new browser (one you hadn't used before) or using one you had but with a clean profile, i.e., the state it initially has the first time you ever used that browser.

Note, if you don't want to bother with a clean profile, at the very least, if have any extensions running one other test you can do is run without them.  In firefox you could launch it in safe mode to accomplish this.  If everything works that way then obviously its one of your extensions causing the problem.  But then you have tp hunt down which extension it is which potentially can take time.  But that could be the case too if a clean profile also worked.

I don't know why you are having problems accessing static.jade.synacor.com.  A ping static.jade.synacor.com indicates it's IP is 69.168.97.167.  Maybe some how 69.168.97.167 is getting blocked.  See if you can ping it? 

I don't know what else to suggest here.

kathy500

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

2 years ago

I have also found other web sites using Google where people are having or have had the same problem but there hasn't been a fix posted. Some of the times they were having this problem has not been recent but some of them are. Just like yesterday, I loaded up my browser and the AT&T home page loaded just like it is suppose to do. I tried it in Opera, Chrome, Pale Moon, Waterfox, Firefox and Internet Explorer and they all worked perfect. I closed my browser and then reloaded, the home page would not load again and I had NOT ran CCleaner or anything so that isn't the problem. I tried it in all of the other browsers again and some of them would load sometimes and then sometimes not and I haven't done anything to make a change anywhere. I tried Firefox in Safe Mode, and it still wouldn't work so I tried some of the others with extensions disabled and no, they didn't work either. I just now tried it again in all of the browsers above and it only worked on Pale Moon and all I did was close my browsers. None of the others would load the home page and I can't understand what the difference is that made Pale Moon open it up because just a few minutes ago, it wouldn't. It's like it's playing a "now you see it, now you don't" game. I just tried Pale Moon again and now it won't load but I haven't done anything to make it quit.

sherrb1158

Scholar

• 

79 Messages

2 years ago

I posted around 4:30 this morning with the following info, but it apparently didn't actually post, so I'll re-cap and hope it posts.

Sites I found references to this, or similar, problem for start.att.net and "waiting on static.jade.synacor.com" as the search words:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/673057/homepagebrowser-issues/

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&p=14793121

I had found some addition hits, but I'm trying to recall what set of search words I used for those and will pass on if I find them again.

I have been able to get "start.att.net" to load yesterday afternoon and this morning without making any changes since it failed yesterday a.m.  It is an intermittent issue for me.  I can ping the IP now, of course, but didn't think to ping it when it was failing yesterday, although I did check the URL on the "Is it Down" site and it showed it in "up" status .... sorry I didn't think to ping it specifically from my machine at that time.  If I have issues again I will try a Firefox "refresh" and rename my profile and create a new one.  I would like to know the cause though, as creating a new profile to fix the problem is a pain since you have to re-propagate your userids/pws, etc., and I have a lot of them.

Get started...

Ask a new question