Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
THess's profile

47 Messages

Monday, November 6th, 2023 3:11 PM

Closed

Bad business ( probably illegal) practice

My home & work is dependent on having an internet connection.  I tried to go online this morning & got a message that my Internet was under a Voluntary  Suspension.  I didn’t suspend it but found out after making multiple calls that my service was being held hostage & AT&T would only turn my service back on if I scheduled a service call to convert to Fiber.  This is blackmail.  AT&T knows that if I threaten to go to a competitor it will take weeks to get new service turned on.  There’s no other way to describe this other than “Blackmail” & the FCC shouldn’t allow this to happen.  I got no warning that my internet was being suspended this morning!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

8 months ago

Do you currently have DSL?

ETA:  We’ve seen posts from (angry) ATT customers stating that they were able to get a competitor  to install service within days.  You might want to look into other ISPs in your market.

(edited)

47 Messages

8 months ago

I use my internet for work and can’t afford to be without it for days/weeks.  AT&T knows this uses it to blackmail their customers.  I’ve been a loyal customer for 25+ yrs.  This is how they threat their loyal customers.  

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

8 months ago

I’ll ask again:  Do you have DSL?

47 Messages

8 months ago

Yes I do!  Are you an AT&T employee?

47 Messages

8 months ago

What difference does it make what service I have?  My issue is with their business practice of holding loyal customers hostage & blackmailing them to switch.  They offered nothing for the hassle they put me through other than to give me back the service I was paying for!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

8 months ago

Not an employee.  These forums are CUSTOMER POPULATED forums with an occasional offer of a DM by @ATTHelp

Here are the facts:  AT&T is phasing out DSL.  This post on Reddit may shed some light. They seem to be in the same situation as you which proves that it’s not personal.  It’s business.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comments/15nuovi/att_put_my_internet_on_voluntary_suspend_and/

You call it “hostage & blackmail”.  AT&T calls it “forced migration”.

ETA:

(edited)

47 Messages

8 months ago

I don’t care if it’s “business”, it’s “bad business” done by a large company that feels it can afford to lose customers.  What they presented me with this morning was nothing short of BLACKMAIL.  Commit to switching service or we won’t turn your internet back on.  I was still being billed for a service they weren’t providing me with.  They could have handled this better!! 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

8 months ago

Agreed. AT&T could've handled it better but the bottom line is that DSL is being phased out, and has been for years now, so if you want to continue with AT&T you will need to upgrade to fiber or find another carrier. It is possible to find another carrier and get their service installed quickly but that still may take a couple of days. I am surprised that AT&T didn't send you an email earlier stating that your service would be temporarily suspended by a specific date if you didn't upgrade.

47 Messages

8 months ago

You call it “hostage & blackmail”.  AT&T calls it “forced migration”.

What do you call it since you seem to have all the answers.  You’re being billed & paying for a service.  Then all of sudden they take the service away (with no warning) & say the only way you can get it back is to agree to their demands to switch to a new service.  They should have just sent a technician to my door this morning & said “I’m here to upgrade your service”

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

8 months ago

The Golden Rule of Business — he who has the gold makes the rules.

🤷‍♀️

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.