tojumikie's profile

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, April 7th, 2013 7:31 PM

250 gB data limit for at&t?

hi, I am considering switching from Charter Communications to AT&T for internet. While i was searching Google, i came across an article that says that there is a 250 GB limit for internet. Is that true? I am a PC gamer that used 509 GB of internet last month. I did a lot of filesharing through bittorrent (324 GB) not illegal stuff, just the battlefield 4 17 minute video and daemon tools lite, along with some creative commons music shared free online by the artists, for example, dj shadow. which was the majority, and the other data was from watching 1080p gameplay videos and uploading my own gameplay videos. On charter's terms and conditions, it says 100 GB max, but everyone knows that the terms and conditions are from 2007, which need to be updated. Charter has stated in their terms and conditions that it is 250 GB max, but they have not called me nor warned me once, i guess because charter is okay with people going over 250 GB and none of my other fellow PC gamers that also have charter that go way over the limit, they have not been called by Charter once? Charter is getting a bit more expensive after 12 months, so i am thinking of changing companies. How does AT&T treat customers that go over 250 gB? Does AT&T not care, or does the worst case scenario occur and i suddenly find a huge bill coming to me? When i asked Charter about the limit all they said was not to worry about it, and i was ok

also for your gigabytes do you use binary system of measurement or easier system of measurement (1024 mB=1 gB or 1000 mB=1 gB)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

great, now I have to cancel my Roku, Hulu and Netflix because I can't afford ATT ELITE because it is not unlimited anymore.    DISGRUNTLED ATT SHAREHOLDER

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@tincans

Are you an AT&T U-verse suscriber? If so, you get unlimited access for free if you add DirecTV or U-verse TV to your plan(even the lowest tiers). You can also pay $30 extra instead for unlimited  if on U-verse.

If on AT&T DSL, the 150 GB cap has been in place for a very long time. If you're just now hitting your cap, you can probably tweak down your usage a little bit and you should be right back to where you normally were.

Many streaming platforms allow you to adjust your bit rate, you should lower it if you fear of going over your data cap.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

like u said the uverse isnt enforced but the dsl is. my only option is dsl bc of my location and as of now even after reducing my streaming quality on netflix to pixelated trash my $20.00 a month internet bill actually winds up costing me around $120.00 plus nearly $60 for a home phone. Its absolutely and utterly ridiculous such greed and discrimination occurr's from att and yes it is discrimination bc im unfairly treated and charged differently than others bc of circumstances out of my control. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

who wants to lower their resolution? isnt this the hd age? isnt 4k the new standard which uses an outrageous amount of bandwidth? whats the point in owning an hdtv if u cant watch hd programming? Doesnt netflix already pay isp's to allow there service to be streamed bc of the high percentage of trafric they produce? why should the consumer pay netfix to pay att when we are already paying att?

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Okay.. this theread was started prior to ATT's new cap enforcement, and facts previous to the change, are outdated.

The only cap (on wired internet.. I am clueless on how wireless data caps are enforced.. i just know, for the average user, they are WAY to low, and cost too much to increase the cap) still enforced, and will NOT ever change, except to kill the network entirly, if the monthly 150 gigs montly cap for legacy dsl internet. (to be fair, you CAN pay extra per month, to increase that cap by 50 gigs increments. There is a maximuym, but I honestly don't know what it is.)

U-verse, they made that way more complicated, and since I am a legacy dsl user, am not familiar with what the presant caps are set at. I do know, it has to do with the base package you have, and the faster your connection (in tiers) the higher your cap is.

You can also make that cap waived, if you either add a tv sercvice to your package, or, pay an extra 30 dollars a month, which  effectivly gfives you unlimited data.

Just to be clear, under the new data computations, u-verse tv data usage is not applied to the internet usage.

And the reminder: if you DO have the tv pacage with u-verse internet, the data cap is waived, and how much data used to provide high definition tv service is irelivent.

I do realize, if you have a lower tier that does not supply enough bandwidth to support the minimum nneeded to to sterem the signal, you will need to settle for a lower resolution.

Sometimes, the local connection just can not support higher bandwidth.

they really are workingf to improve it in a lot of areas.  Just hope, yours is one of them.

good luck

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.