Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
N

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Dec 16, 2021 11:09 PM

When will fiber come to our Neighborhood - its been less than 1000 ft away for years.

We have had fiber on the main road for years, yet AT&T has not installed it down into our neighborhood.  I have been calling for years, yet nothing changes.  I wish AT&T didn't have a monopoly on the fiber lines. 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.3K Messages

5分前

The answer to your question is.....who knows?  Or more correctly, nobody that the public can ever speak with knows. 

As far as a monopoly, AT&T owns the fiber and paid to have it installed so I don't think it really belongs in that category.  Any other company is free to install their own fiber (well, presuming your local govt thinks that's an OK idea).

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.1K Messages

5分前

They do not, just need a provider willing to start from scratch running their own fiber including hiring a workforce. 

The most notable of these may be Google Fiber that reached maybe 10+ cities at about $1 billion dollars per city.

Or wait for local cable provider to upgrade their service to fiber.

In the meantime ATT is continuing fiber rollout with scheduled 3 million per year till end 2025 when 50% of ATT hardwired residential addresses will be direct fiber.

The current questions to ask is does ATT provide any hardwired internet service to your neighborhood. If yes what speed tier does your address have available as an option.

Besides new construction within 90+ markets covering 21 states, expect FTTN locations with internet 25 or higher to be most likely upgraded to direct fiber. Speeds of 18 or less may still be but at a smaller percentage. If ATT is not the ILEC or is but offers no hardwired connection I would not expect fiber will be a future option.

By start of 2026 30 million addresses will have fiber some zip codes will be 80+% while others may be less than 25%. The only sure way is relocation to an existing address with fiber availability. 

https://broadbandnow.com/Google-Fiber

Google Fiber Availability

As of 2021, Google Fiber is available in, Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Huntsville, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Louisville, Miami, Nashville, Oakland, Oklahoma City, Orange County, Phoenix, Portland, Provo, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Seattle, and Tampa.

Google Fiber generally expanded neighborhood by neighborhood in these areas, so access varies depending on address. Expansion of Google Fiber’s network has been on pause recently as the company attempts to justify the massive $1 billion city cost of installing fiber to their Home services.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.