For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
afkbrad's profile

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, October 5th, 2022 9:28 PM

What do I have to do to get fiber?

The area I live in that has AT&T fiber all around. The street behind me and in front have fiber. My road was skipped. I believe it’s because it’s a private road. I just moved in and I now own the road. There are 18 houses on my road and they all want fiber. The previous owners didn’t want a ditch witch putting fiber in and I suspect told AT&T no thanks. I’m in my workshop building antennas for T-Mobile 5G signals because I won’t pay around $600 for a cell booster. Mine will be better with higher gain. However, it’s still slow 5G when I need much faster. I’m disabled and work from home. I’ve only been in this house 2 weeks, but I can’t get reliable internet. I had Hughes Net installed Sunday and it’s horrible. Two hours with tech support today gained nothing. All I want is to talk to the AT&T engineer in my community. I’ll splice the fiber and bury it myself to get fiber internet.

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

2 years ago

All I want is to talk to the AT&T engineer in my community. I’ll splice the fiber and bury it myself to get fiber internet.

You can't speak directly to Engineering. The only option would be for you to pay for AT&T Direct Internet Service. A dedicated Fiber connection to your home. You can check this web page for availability and pricing options.

https://www.business.att.com/products/att-dedicated-internet.html

It is also not as simple as splicing at a Fiber Terminal. Fiber is not designed to work by simply adding an extension Fiber cable to extend service. Each Fiber service area has a light budget that determines how may customers can be served over a fixed distance from the nearest Primary Flexibility Point (PFP).

Please don't expect AT&T to jump at the chance to speed more than $250,000.00 to serve 18 additional residential customers.

Does AT&T offer any other services at your address or any of the other addresses on your street as that my provide some clues as to what may be available in the future?

Is your local Cable provider or any other ISPs an option?

Have you looked at Starlnk: https://www.starlink.com/map

Dave

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I live on a tech free road. No coax, fiber, hard wired telephone, or anything else. We all have to use satellite for TV and internet. Oh, Hughesnet (Edited per community guidelines). Don’t ever get it. Starlink isn’t available in my area either. 

I’ve run the numbers. I was a senior field engineer for Lockheed Martin before getting hurt. Fiber was one of my specialties. The ROI for a short run 300 yards long would be recouped in 2-3 years. That’s a good ROI when you consider the roads around me go for a mile before reaching a single customer. Most people on those roads don’t want it or can’t afford it. It was a waste of time and money. As a bean counter myself I wonder if the installation was subsidized by the government for low income families. 

Fiber goes past my road to service a school just blocks away. It’s on the same side of the road as my house 50 yards away from the fiber line.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I just checked the business link. Fiber is available on my road for $1600 a month for the speeds I need. 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

2 years ago

I feel your frustration but you must have know this when you moved to this address.

The ROI for a short run 300 yards long would be recouped in 2-3 years.

It is not as simple as running a single 300 yard long Fiber drop from the nearest Fiber terminal to your house. The longest spec drop is only going to be 500 Feet from the nearest Fiber terminal. As the cable must be run in a right of way and not direct via the shortest path. That assumes that there was still light signal budget left from the nearest serving PFP.

I started my Fiber career back in the early 80s polishing and terminating 62.5 micron Fiber for the Department of Energy (High Energy Physics research).

You want a simple 900 Feet drop which is a non-starter without an Engineered solution. That's why they offer Dedicated Internet. And yes Fiber 1000 is going to be $1675.00 per month with a 2 year term.

Fiber goes past my road to service a school just blocks away. It’s on the same side of the road as my house 50 yards away from the fiber line.

Different Fiber infrastructure. That is Commercial Fiber. You can't just tap into it for a Residential Fiber terminal where ever you want.

For example at the end of your road you can't just cut and fusion splice in a Fiber terminal. It connects to different equipment back at the local Central Office (CO).

Try your local Cable ISP and see what they want to provide service to your address. Most bids start at $15,000 if there is a near by node.

Dave

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

The monthly cost does not include the construction which at $10 per foot would be $52k for a mile of dedicated fiber for just your home. If anyone else wants fiber they would need to order their own dedicated service.

I generally figure $100k for installation and first 2 to 3 years of service.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I don’t need a mile. I need 300 feet. 

what bothers me is fiber goes a mile in the street next to me without a single customer. Even then most of the people it reaches don’t want it. Either the government subsidized the run, or AT&T wasn’t thinking about ROI. 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

2 years ago

I don’t need a mile. I need 300 feet. 

Your earlier post was 300 yards so which is it?

The ROI for a short run 300 yards long would be recouped in 2-3 years.

Again the key is that your new 300 feet estimate must account for right of way routing from the nearest residential Fiber terminal to your building. The Max drop is 500 feet.

The only way for you to know is to contact AT&T using the link I provided above and get an estimate for total cost.

what bothers me is fiber goes a mile in the street next to me without a single customer. Even then most of the people it reaches don’t want it. Either the government subsidized the run, or AT&T wasn’t thinking about ROI. 

How do you know that Fiber is Residential fiber if there are no customers? Does the Availability checker show it as available at addresses on that street?

https://www.att.com/availability

Again you should check with your local Cable ISP to see what their pricing would be.

Dave

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I went to my county engineering department and got a map of all above/below ground utilities. Comcast and AT&T have fiber on the roads in front of and behind me. Comcast said they’d install fiber down my road for $6,640.62 where every homeowner could get access. All the homeowners agreed to split the cost. All 18 homes would pay $368 and it’s a done deal. 

Great ROI for 18 homes each costing almost $1m dollars with expendable income. AT&T didn’t want to service us so Comcast got our business cheap. 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for stopping back with an update. It sounds good so far I hope you get Symmetrical Fiber from Comcast. And that is a great price so Comcast must have a node nearby.

I have Fiber from both AT&T and Comcast but Comcast only offers RFoG here which is only 940 Mbps down 35 Mbps up.

Note: RFoG requires a powered module (backfed) from a 110V wall outlet (inside) to the outside NID that takes Fiber input and outputs to Coax to the Comcast XFinity Modem.

Dave

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.