For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.
Questions about AT&T Fiber Internet service
AT&T fiber is now available where I live. I am looking for information about the service (I am thinking of ordering). With ATT fiber service:
- Do you have a pre-paid service plan? I’d prefer to pay upfront. I like having the ability to cancel by not paying to continue for another month/year/period.
- Can I get a static IP (an IPv4 one)? And if so, for how much? I want a static IP because I work from home and I access computers that are protected by firewalls. The firewalls only allow access from known IP addresses.
- With the “Internet 1000” service is the upload speed the same as the download speed (1000 Mbps)?
- With the “Internet 1000” service, what do you mean by “Connect up to 14 devices at the same time.”? I would want to connect my own firewall/router to the service. From AT&T's perspective, it would look like I have only 1 device connected and I would have the rest of my network NAT’d behind my firewall. When you say 14 devices, are you saying that you provide a modem/router combo device that only allows 14 devices to connect? Or are you saying that there is a policy where customers are not allowed to connect more than 14 devices to the internet service as doing so would be against the rules?
- Can I not use the included wifi? I have a carefully tuned wifi network at my house that I’d rather use.
- Can I not use a provided router? Do you have a modem only option? I don't want to double NAT. Sometimes I play games and port forward. I don't want to use a router that is restrictive.
Just a few notes, I typically use less than 500GB per month and my usage patterns are typical for an everyday home user. I really don’t think I need business-grade internet. Also, I'm pretty sure business-grade internet options are too expensive.