Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Jan 14, 2020 1:07 AM

Question - Possible to check when engineering will finish the community install?

Our neighbothood has been waiting for fiber. All new lines were run about 6 months ago, but the service still isnt available to residents. Last time I contacted sales they told me they were wait to install the hubs and a few other things. I'm wondering if someone could check with engineering on a time frame. Thanks!!

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

a month ago

from planning to activation can be anywhere from 2 to 3 years...

Where you are at in the process is unknown, no public available timeline for an IF or WHEN any address, street or neighborhood will be able to order service.

Some general questions that may help...

Is Uverse internet with Uverse IPTV currently available at your address, internet speeds would be from 25 to 100?

If no IPTV option, is Uverse internet available with speeds of 18 or less?

IF no Uverse internet, is legacy DSL (150G data cap) available?

OR is this the first hardwired ATT internet option that will be available?

Have fiber trunk line ran to a PFP cabinet, could be mounted on a pole, or single door or double door cabinet. Each is a different size that supports a limited number of connections, the bigger the PFP the more addresses that will be wired for fiber service.... the longer it would take to wire. All addresses would go live for ordering at same time, generally with door to door sales canvas the streets right before going live to get initial orders.

With the PFP placed, would have fiber lines ran on the streets either as aerial pole to pole or buried using orange conduit tubes. Burial services will take much longer to install than aerial.

After the fiber is placed, then have another group installing the fiber terminals, aerial, ground pesastial or ground handhold. Then various testing of lines and turning addresses green.

Next would be when to turn addresses green, this may be determined by number of techs in area and number of weeks out that work is already scheduled for... if current workload is 3+ weeks out for installs turning more addresses green only adds to the delay... thus may wait till workload is reduced before adding more area for coverage.

From hire to actual impact on workload could be up to 5 to 6 months, meaning someone starting training in January would not be dispatching on own till May then only Monday to Friday for 3 months, thus no Saturday install till 6 months from start date. There are some markets that are currently hiring techs, if your area is short on techs would not expect market conditons to change overnight.

Just my thoughts....

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
SuperMario87

Employee

• 

234 Messages

You can check in the below link from time to time if fiber is available for your area. There is no one who can give you information how the installation is going.

https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/offers.html

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

DSL isn't available in our area anymore. There is a church nearby and they ran the line to them through our neighborhood. We were told we would be getting the ability to have fiber, and I just am tired of spectrum's lies to us regarding pricing. We've had ATT wireless for years, and would like to give our business to ATT.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

a month ago

If the church is a dedicated fiber.... no terminals placed in the neighborhood during that run I would not expect fiber is coming....

Dedicated business fiber is around $10 per line foot of install, 1 mile of fiber $52K, then monthly plan based upon speed desired.... plans start at $499 a month for 10/10 internet over $1000 a month for 100/100. Higher speeds available at higher cost... depending on the size of the church (Mega Church?) and used as a write off, possibly not a hugh cost for them.

Dedicated is a single fiber 1:1 fiber connection not the residential service which is 1:32 splitter or 32 accounts sharing a 2.5G fiber connection using prism to split the light. Dedicated also has an SLA (service level agreement) to be restored in case of failure while residential fiber repairs take a back seat to business and government services, thus could be done 3+ days on residential fiber but only paying $50 (100/100) to $100 (1000/1000) a month for service.

https://www.business.att.com/products/dedicated-internet/#/

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

They put in taps. Theres one right above my house if I got on a ladder (I wouldn't do that)