For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
H

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, December 12th, 2021 7:41 PM

How to request fiber?

I live in a good neighborhood with lots of lovely folks who would love fiber. How do we request to AT&T top build fiber out here? There's already some fiber coverage in the town.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

First question to ask is does ATT currently provide internet service to your neighborhood with 1T data cap, not legacy dsl?

If yes, then ask what is the top speed my address qualifies for… 18 or less or 25+?

Third question is are you willing to wait it move to have the service desired?

ATT needs to be the ILEC offering hardwired internet service. About 80% of addresses within their 21 state footprint have this, 20% do not, and if ATT is not the ILEC cannot be an option. 

Besides new construction developments within footprint, the most likely to be upgraded is FTTN VDSL accounts where fiber is already in the neighborhood to the local VRAD. FTTN offers speeds of 100, 75, 50, 45, 25 depending on card type, single or bonded pair availability and copper distance from the fiber VRAD.

With additional 15 million addresses expected from 2021 to end 2025, I expect about 10 million of the current 23 million FTTN to be upgraded to FTTP. If your address does not currently support internet 25 or higher the chances of receiving fiber are slim.

Willing to wait 5 years to see if part of the next 15 million? 
Or consider other OSP options at current address if not willing to relocate to an address where fiber is already available. Note start of 2021 had 15 million fiber addresses ready but only slightly better than 5 million fiber subscribers leaving 10 million address could have fiber if willing to relocate to one of them.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This was useless, wow. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

how was it useless he answered pretty much any question you could have had.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

2 years ago

Did you answer any of the questions?

ATT fiber buildout is planned years in advance before service would be available. I would expect all locations in 2022 and most in 2023 have already been decided with contractors hired to lay fiber.

There is a form on the MDU website for apartment / condo complexes to submit to have their properties evaluated for fiber. If have an HOA the officers could try that method but not guarantee if your subdivision is not MDU (multi dwelling units). 

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Earlier this year a AT&T tower was built in my area and I have been told that at&t fiber should roll out next year. Yet i was able to talk to an employee just Friday and was told my area already should be covered for Fiber? The site still says my area is not available. There are plenty of people here that are tired of are current internet provider and would happily switch to AT&T and have also been asking when and if fiber is coming.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

1 year ago

@Ehbriga 

Zip code?

”was told my area should be covered for fiber” area will be zip code, not address specific or neighborhood.

My zip code 53188, one of three for the city (Waukesha, Wi), has about 15,000 residential addresses with about 5000+ currently having fiber including the development across the street which previously was IP-CO best speed internet 5. Now they have fiber 1000 option while my section is FTTN with bonded pair internet 50. 

I would estimate our area zip is around 35% fiber which is close to the 21 state average of 20 million out of 60 million hardwired addresses currently having fiber. Next 3 years adding 10 million to footprint will bring total to 50%. I expect more fiber will be coming to our zip code but most of this years fiber expansion in our city has been in the other two zip codes which was less coverage than our zip code. 

As an ATT Uverse tech I am very aware every time a new PFP is turned on as most installs are coming from new areas, not existing.

An observation, total available by start of 2026 is 30 million… yet ATT is only able to install 1 million per year thus fiber subscribers by 2026 will be 10+ million leaving 20 million to provide for.

Not all will move to ATT fiber, some will stay with Spectrum while others will use the newer wireless services from T-Mobile and Verizon. Still I expect ATT will have around a 45% penetration rate or around 13 million subscribers by end 2028. 

If they add a 3rd 5 year fiber buildout (2026 to end 2030) at same 3 million per year rate would bring total fiber footprint to 75% of hardwired addresses (45+ million), still leaving 15 million on copper or using 5G wireless services. Again notice 45 million addresses would be about 15 million fiber subscribers with a whole lot of additional growth next decade to reach 20 to 25 million subscribers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.