Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
A

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Oct 23, 2021 12:00 AM

How to get AT&T fiber?

I live in Sunnyvale, CA; currently I am using Comcast but I am really (Edited per community guidelines) off by the slow speed (esp. the uplink speed) and frequent outages (twice last week, one happened during a fairly important meeting). I am looking into switching to AT&T fiber. While the coverage map lists Sunnyvale as covered, it is not available to us. I tried a bunch of addresses in the city and I found most part of the city actually don't have fiber access.

My questions:

1. What steps to take to get the fiber access? I saw some request forms but they are for apartment residents. I understand SFH has lower population density so has less ROI for AT&T. Do we have no chance to get considered?

2. Many people asked in the forum said AT&T boxes are close to their homes; how do we find out how far away we are from AT&T facilities?

3. If we end up being far away from AT&T facilities, does it mean we have almost no chance to get any AT&T fiber access in the foreseeable future as it usually takes forever for most infrastructure work in U.S.?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19K Messages

7分前

If Internet 50 is current best option, this is FTTN.

as a bonded pair, your likely 1800 feet to 2800 feet away from the fiber VRAD.

Thus a good chance will be upgraded.

There is fiber in Sunnyvale starting roughly in the NorthEast section forming a diagonal to the SouthWest  area.

https://broadbandnow.com/California

https://broadbandnow.com/ATT

click on the map on above link then choose fiber in lower left hand part of map, then zoom in to Sunnyvale to see addresses with ATT Fiber (red sections)

Fiber to the north in Sandalwood and to the SW along Iris Ave and Gail Ave

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19K Messages

7分前

Does ATT offer any internet service to your current address?
If yes, what is the best speed tier?

Phase 1 (2016-end 2020) saw 15 million residential addresses receive direct fiber within 90+ markets in 21 states. About 25% of these were MDU of apartment / condo complexes. If willing to relocate this may be the fastest way to have the service in question.

https://www.att.com/att/multifamily-property/locator/

A phase 2, another 5 year expansion from 2021 to end 2025 is scheduled to reach a 2nd 15 million residential addresses which will include new construction developments as well as brownfields (existing addresses). 

For the existing addresses most will be FTTN (Fiber To The Node) with current speed tiers of 100, 75, 50, 25…. At completion of Project VIP Uverse FTTN 10 year (2006-2015) deployment 33 million addresses had FTTN option. My estimate is about 9 million of these were upgraded to FTTP during phase 1 leaving about 24 million FTTN at start of 2021. If the same holds true for phase 2, another 9 million converted will result in the following at start of 2026… 30 million FTTP (about 50% of hardwired footprint) and 15 million FTTN (25% of footprint). The remaining 25% (15 million) will be ADSL2+ internet 18/1 or less.

The company does not announce who, when, where, or time any place will see fiber. As from planning to activation can take 2 years expect all upgrades for 2021 / 2022 have already been contracted.

Your first indication fiber may be coming would be seeing local contractors deploying fiber on poles if aerial or burning orange conduit if underground. Of course you can always check with local government to determine if any permits have been requested for your neighborhood.

In short, fiber is continuing to be deployed for next several years but there is no way to know if you will be part until the time has passed (start 2026) or consider other options including relocation to known fiber address.

Just my thoughts….

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19K Messages

7分前

What is near street intersection?

• 

3 Messages

7分前

Thanks for the swift response. The highest tier for our address is Internet 50. The nearest street intersection is Old San Francisco Rd & S Wolfe Rd, Sunnyvale, CA.

Your multi-family coverage map looks awesome, and seems like there are nearby MDUs with Fiber access. Sigh SFHs always have lower priority :-(, although I kind of understand the rationale behind this.

Also thanks for the detailed explanation of the rollout phases. IIUC even fiber comes to our home in the future, it will be FTTN so I won't get higher speed. Am I correct?

Thanks.

• 

3 Messages

7分前

Thanks for the information. The map is awesome; it gives us the idea how far away we are from the fiber networks.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.