Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thu, Feb 6, 2020 9:46 PM

Coverage map update?

Will there be an update to the coverage map? I see it still says it's in 2019. We're in 2020 fiber is in areas around me. I had sales people come to my door in last summer saying it'd be in my area in october of '19 I check "my account" and the max speed i can get is 100mbps I could switch to another company and get 600 mbps for what i'm paying for 45 mbps. I'd love to stay with ATT.

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

2 months ago

Hello,

Check availability with 800. 288. 2020, the door to door sales are sales only and usually a contractor

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

14.6K Messages

2 months ago

Have you seen any fiber being deployed on your street by a local contractor in the past year?

https://broadbandnow.com/

provides a list of ISPs by zip code and % of addresses within zip code that can receive ATT Fiber.... the percentage can be as high as 90+% or less than 3% where the company is deploying.

My zip code (53188) is around 6% with 92% within ATT footprint and 8% within CenturyLink footprint. With around 14500 addresses in my zip code, at 6% means around 880 addresses can receive internet 1000. My address is bonded pair internet 50 from VRAD several blocks away. If you can receive internet 100 means your within 1000 feet (less than 2 blocks) from your VRAD.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

I just checked my zip code (48184) doesn't have fiber on that list yet. ATT TV+internet 98.6% coverage and 100mbps is the highest speed it used to be 75 was the max. I think their slowly getting there It's just taking ATT a long time. When uverse was installed at my house in 11 years ago I was told it was fiber. But it is really DSL according to that site. It was obviously a sales pitch to get my family to sign up. I'll keep checking that site.

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14.6K Messages

From 2006 to end 2015 ATT was deploying fiber as FTTN or Fiber To The Node (Neighborhood) with up to last mile being copper depending on distance from the VRAD (Video Ready Access Device). If the address can receive Uverse IPTV it is fiber feed to VRAD with VDSL delivered at house which is a hugh improvement over LEGACY DSL which caps at 6M while bonded pair VDSL at under 1000 feet from fiber allows for internet 100/20, as distance increases speed tiers lower due to signal drop over copper to 75/20, 50/10. 25/5 or 25/2 at over 4000 feet... all of these would be preferred to 6/.6 FTTN reached 33 million addresses within then foot[rint at end 2015.

FTTN... Not a sales pitch, just indirect fiber... compared to the 2016 to end 2019 14+ million FTTP (Fiber To The Premise) that has lower ping and no effect like copper.

However the concept is still the same.....

FTTN fiber to a point (VRAD), feeds cards (F, K or N) that have 48 ports per card, the ports are wired to a crossbox where the tech installs jumper(s) to provide signal to the copper serving terminal (CST) post(s), a drop from the serving terminal to the NID (Network Interface Device) where meets inside wiring (IW) cat5e ideally to the gateway.

FTTP is 2.5G fiber line to a point (PFP), to a 1:32 splitter, one pair of the 32 from splitter is connected (jumper) to a post assignment going to a fiber serving terminal (FST) with posts. Tech installs a fiber drop from post to ideally fiber NID that connects to inside fiber run to the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) converts light to signal, cat5e ethernet or better cable from ONT to gateway.

example of fiber assignment splitter 2, line 18 (the 50th connection as 1-32 is on splitter 1, splitter 2 would be 33-64, and so on... 32+18=50) to APN 87 at FST located 6 blocks away. This FST is a 4 post aerial terminal with connections 87, 88, 89, 90... next terminal closer to PFP would have 91-94, etc. The neighbor next door is next install on the same FST gets installed 2 months later and has connection 72 which is splitter 3 (65-96) line 8 to APN 88 (2nd port of FST).

This is the same as copper FTTN assignments just card 1 has ports 1-48 card 2 has ports 49-96... cards 3, 4 completes shelf for 192 total connections. A 2nd shelf with 4 cards adds another 192 connections allowing for 384 individual addresses as single pair or max of 192 bonded pair accounts or some combination in between.

ATT CEO at a PFP

https://images.app.goo.gl/preS9iip5Sunoog68

4 port aerial CFST (connectorized fiber serving terminal)

https://images.app.goo.gl/iTpJLacVYzRQogME9

Fiber NID outside fiber drop meeting inside fiber run

https://images.app.goo.gl/VpMtWFpqraCeS9MB8

inside ONT with no longer available wall mount...

https://images.app.goo.gl/Y2MgwR14R2F1nNRBA

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

I have the Fiber NID outside fiber drop meeting inside fiber run box outside my house. I just checked the my account plan the max i can get at my address is 75mbps right now I have 45mbps maybe one day I'll have 100+ available at my address. Is there a website to where I can sign up to be notified when it will be available in my area? I'll obviously keep checking the coverage map. I'm just bummed it's not available in my area when it's available in 2 cities 8-10 miles away from my zip code it's not even "underway" for my city. It (Edited per community guidelines) when door to door sales people/ contractors tell you something will happen and then you find out that it's not true.

(edited)

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…