Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Tiger1st's profile

• 

4 Messages

Fri, May 20, 2022 4:17 AM

Business fiber available at my apartment building address, but not at my apartment for residential service

I am trying to get fiber Internet at my apartment building. I have this issue where it says business fiber is available at my apartment building (since it is a business address) with and without the unit number, but no fiber is available when I select my apartment with the unit number as a residential address. This is stated when I input different addresses in the "Check for Availability" dialog at https://www.att.com/buy/broadband/availability.html I find it very confusing and incorrect. I have tried to call customer support about it, but I keep having to re-escalate things and I have had to wait weeks to get my fiber Internet. At one point, someone told me that "if business fiber is available at the apartment building, then it should be available for residents" but no one can seem to confirm that and such. Also, at one point, customer service claimed fiber service wasn't available for my residential address, even though it was possible to add business fiber to the apartment building and residential address in my shopping cart at the time! Can someone provide some advice?

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.9K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Business fiber is completely different than residential fiber. Just because business fiber is available doesn’t mean residential is. 

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 1 m

"Just because business fiber is available doesn’t mean residential is. " Why not? It is really the same address, just an address line 2 added with apartment number.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Because business fiber has a single fiber dedicated to the business. The business pays for installation to run the dedicated fiber (if it isn't already there, and if not it may take weeks for this to happen) and this can run into the tens of thousands of dollars, pays a much higher rate each month for lower bandwidth, and can get a contract to lower the installation cost or the monthly rate.  He also gets SLAs.

A residential fiber has to be designed to provide enough fiber connections for most, if not all, of the homes in the area.  The equipment is expensive, and so is the process of deployment.  But once the fiber deployment is engineered and put in place, it's reasonably simple to connect a customer.  The installation fee is much smaller, and sometimes waived.  There are no minimum contracts.  The monthly rate is lower because the fiber to the CO is shared with up to 64 other customers.

If you want business fiber to your apartment, there are ways of placing that order.  But you probably don't want to pay for that.

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.9K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Business fiber is a dedicated fiber straight to the central office and cannot be split. Residential fiber is split from a pop to different residences. 

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.5K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Go to apartment management and ask who the ISP for the complex is and if internet service is via coax, fiber or telephone lines. And if fiber connections are run to each unit. 
Look through your apartment for a network panel in a closet. If you see all coax cables in it, then most likely no fiber service is available. 

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 1 m

@browndk26 The apartment currently uses Xfinity coax. There are no fiber connections to each unit currently. I want AT&T to install fiber in the building and direct it to my room only. We plan on keeping Xfinity coax Wi-Fi and AT&T Fiber Internet in the building at the same time. I haven't gotten to the installation step yet, but hopefully it can be done. Supposedly I was recently approved one or two days ago by AT&T for residential fiber Internet at my address after a month of trying, but hopefully customer support isn't saying something wrong. I will update this thread later.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 1 m

@JefferMC Huh, I thought business fiber installation would be free. Guess not.
So does there have to be business fiber before residential fiber in the case of apartment buildings? The building has never had any fiber Internet.

(edited)

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.5K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Whoever said you were approved for residential fiber is full of it. It doesn’t work that way. Long process to plan for and install fiber infrastructure. In an apartment complex, the building owner pays for fiber to be installed to the complex, and then att would require an agreement for att to be the only isp. Your apartment complex would have to agree to att running business fiber to you. It’s probably not even possible. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

Il y a 1 m

Huh, I thought business fiber installation would be free. Guess not.

It can be.  If the fiber is already there for some reason or if a new run is short enough, you agree to a long enough contract and your monthly rate may be adjusted upwards to cover some of it.

So does there have to be business fiber before residential fiber in the case of apartment buildings? The building has never had any fiber Internet.

No.  Residential fiber and Business Fiber are two different worlds one doesn't depend on the other or help provide the other.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.