Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
andy767's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, March 12th, 2017 9:13 PM

Available AT&T Fiber Internet Plans

I currently have Internet 100 (100 Mbps) and can order up to 1000 or down to 45 but what I really want is something in between 100 and 1000 like 300 Mbps. I see that some customers are limited to 300 but it doesn't seem to be an option when 1000 is available. Am I missing something here? Right now, I can pay $20 more a month for 1000 Mbps but I don't need or really have anything that can utilize that kind of speed (even though it'd be more like in the 8 or 900s). I'd be more than willing to pay $5 or $10 more a month for 300 or 500 Mbps.

I also found this which shows 300 as an option.
https://www.att.net/speedtiers

So anyone know how to get 300 Mbps?!

Community Support

• 

232.8K Messages

7 years ago

Hello @andy767,

Thanks for reaching out to us.  We recommend chatting with a representative who can give information on all available U-verse internet plans in your area.  You can also review these articles for additional information about internet service:

Gigapower – What You Need

Slow Speed Troubleshooting

Order AT&T Fiber

You can find more articles on the right side rail of this page under Internet Hot Topics.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Hi @ATTCares,

Thank you for the reply and info but I've already tried that approach. Chat rep told me all I could get on AT&T Fiber at my house was 45, 100, or 1000. I just can't imagine there isn't a demand for something less than 1000 but more than 100.

Thanks again!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@my thoughts

Love the analogy, not real sure I agree.  You seem to understand the technology fairly well, however, the fact is that informed customers pay for 1000Mbps service thinking that they will get 500-940Mbps (based on the speed tier site), and then the customer only gets around 400Mbps.  With the mandatory gateway provided by AT&T the wireless connection is at most 250Mbps (yes, I know I can buy an AP or another router and use it for faster wireless speed, but shouldn't what AT&T provides just work?).  If I bought one of the flashlights that you desire, I bet I get the lumens I paid for, so long as the batteries are good..  So why sell something (1000Mbps) that you can't actually reach on a normal basis?  Yes, I realize there is a lot going on, IPTV and other network forces at play, but when I talk to folks that have the 100Mbps service, they generally have speeds about 25% higher than the plan calls for and when I speak with folks that have 1000Mbps, we generally get speeds about 50% lower than what the plan calls for.  All the stars have to line up to get even close to 1000Mbps, oh and you have to hold your tongue just right and whistle while doing it. I guess the batteries are just weak (flashlight analogy).

I would like more than 100Mbps so I pay for 1000Mbps, the first few weeks it drove me nuts that I was only getting 400Mbps.  The local techs made 4 visits and eventually told me that's all they see in my area and I should consider it normal.  So why not provide additional more realistic services? 300Mbps or 500Mbps?  Why does the AT&T speed tier site include 300Mbps if it's not an option?  It looks good on paper that AT&T provides 1Gbps service, but that service is beyond unrealistic in the real world.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@my thoughts

I don't dispute anything you have said with regards to how the technology should work or what the expectations should be.  I get the limitations with the routers and APs with regards to wireless speeds.  I also understand the impact that poor data cabling installations can have on a system, regardless of the hardware you have in place.

This brings me back to my comment about providing a real-world service, keep in mind, most home based consumers are probably 95% wireless, maybe more, maybe less.  So, most consumers would never see the 1000Mbps speed advertised, but I can assure you that most consumers would also never see anything more than about 600Mbps on a wired connection directly into the RG. Most I have ever seen on new hardware was 400Mbps +-.

To me, this is more of a PR thing.  We provide gigabit service.  When in reality, AT&T provides less than, even AT&T says the most you will ever see is 940Mbps, which I would love to see but will never see.

I don’t dislike the service I get from AT&T, I do think it’s somewhat a shame that it’s sold as 1000Mbps and you will never see anything close to that. Ever, no matter what hardware you are on.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.