Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
greymooses's profile

• 

1 Message

Fri, May 6, 2022 1:46 AM

ATT fiber dedicated or not for ATT 1000

So a ton of friends are giving me criticism over ordering 1000 ATT Fiber plan. 

There is no information to be found in how data speeds are shared between other users

in the neighborhood. Will my d/u speeds be severely impacted  by other users in my area?

Is there any more information to what standard ATT is using for up to 1Gbps* speeds?

And how speed is rated and how it can be impacted by other users or whether it is in fact dedicated?

Only ATT business offers dedicated but that's from older offers or information I can find from the

internet and I don't want to throw myself in a plan that could potentially give 1000mbps shared with up to 32 other people. 

Its confusing, and all seems to good to be true but anyone having more information would be greatly appreciated.  

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

2分前

You will have your own dedicated fiber from the PFP (the cabinet near your house) to your home.  It's all yours.  It can carry up to 10 Gbps up and down (at the same time).  Isn't that great?!

However, you and up to 63 of your closest neighbors' dedicated fibers will be optically split from a single fiber that comes from the CO to the PFP.  That Fiber will also be able to carry 10 Gbps.  So, if you, and 63 of your neighbors all buy Fiber 1000 and you all decide to run a speed test at the same time, then you're each going to find that your speed measures at 156 Mbps.  TBH, you probably won't have a full 64 users on your shared fiber.  But... you could.  And you'd never coordinate running at the same time.  If fewer than 10 of you do, then... you'll all see 1 Gbps.

How often are you really going to use 1 Gbps?  Or your neighbors?  Unless you do full backups continuously, or run a bitTorrent server... probably not a lot.

There is a small business offering that's identical to the residential/consumer offering above.  There's an enterprise offering of dedicated fiber.  It would cost you approximately $0.10/foot from the CO to your home to install, plus you'd have a contract for some period of time, and you'd be paying a lot more for that dedicated bandwidth.  Like $150/month for 10/10 (I may be off on that).

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

2分前

I realized that I gave the numbers for AT&T's XGS-PON configuration (64 split, 10 Gbps u/d).  You could also be on GPON, which I think is smaller number of users (32) but also a smaller u/d bandwidth.  Same principle applies, but different numbers.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.