skywalkerB2020's profile

• 

2 Messages

Mon, May 9, 2022 5:37 AM

att fiber 2gb

If i get att fiber 2gb plan would i need to upgrade my lan and wifi card? currently on my motherboad the lan says 10/100/1000?

thankls

Bob

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

Il y a 2 m

Yes to the wired connection, but the wifi can't even go as fast as a 1Gbps connection so none of your wifi stuff needs to change. 

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

Il y a 2 m

Only pay for what you need.  

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

Il y a 2 m

@skywalkerB2020 , that depends on why you want to get 2 Gbps service.  If you want the entire 2 Gbps to be available to your PC, then yes, you'd need a card that will negotiate something faster than 1 Gbps with the single 5 Gbps port on the BGW320.  Theoretically, 802.11ax could deliver more than 1 Gbps to a single client, but given the radio restrictions on the BGW320, I don't think that's happening either.

If, on the other hand, you want there to be an aggregate of 2 Gbps to be available for multiple devices in your home, but not necessarily any one of them to have more than 1 Gbps, then no, no upgrades are necessary.

In the near term, you might want to ask yourself what you expect to be able to deliver a sustained stream of more than 1 Gbps to your single client.  As more multi-gigabit subscriber offerings become available, more servers will become available to support them, but even some speed tests struggle getting over 1 Gbps.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.