Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Traveler

• 

5 Messages

Sun, Jul 12, 2020 1:19 AM

Tech showed up today stating couldn't install fiber 1000?

A tech showed up today for my fiber 1000 installed and he stated it couldn't be done due to being to far from the pole but I checked on AT&T website and it shows I qualify?  I'm confused, if it can't be done and if you guys keep playing games with me than I would have to cancel asap.  

AT&T does a hard inquiry on my credit so I'm on stuck in with this.  I'm really disappointed as I thought I would have AT&T fiber 1000 by now.  

Can anyone help?  

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.7K Messages

a month ago

Aerial fiber comes in pre determined lengths of 100 feet, 200 feet, 300 feet, 400 feet and 500 feet.

Either the tech did not have the right length needed to complete your install or the estimated distance from the fiber terminal to your residence exceeds the fiber cable loop length.

Being listed in a database saying a certain product is available means your address is within the estimate range but due to facilities issue service may be less or not available for what is ordered.

Example would be someone 800 feet from a VRAD which is FTTN service, as a BONDED pair with a K or N card would be listed as internet 100/20 eligible in the database. However if only F cards are available best speed BONDED would be 75/8. If a K or N card is available with only 1 port free instead of required 2 the internet installed would be 50/10 instead of 100/20. And if only 1 port available on a F card would be 25/5. If all ports were taken, if within 3000 feet of a CO would be internet 18/1. 

Result is 5 different speeds that could be installed based upon facilities but the database would list 100/20 as best speed possible based upon estimated distance from source not what actual facilities exist.

In the case of fiber, say a large lot size with home set back several hundred feet from the road where the fiber terminal is located, if distance exceeds 500 feet, less than .1 of a mile service would not be installed by the tech.

The question then becomes what happened with the tech, is the install being rescheduled for a future date, likely need a longer fiber drop than what was on the techs truck. If the install was completely cancelled suggests your distance from the fiber terminal is too great. 

Note this can also occur if the fiber terminal is several poles away...

pics may help to offer a better opinion on this user to user forum.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Traveler

• 

5 Messages

He cancelled the installation altogether.  He stated there were too many obsacles (trees, houses, etc) in the way and the roads weren't clear.  He also stated fiber cable wasn't strong enough and that it might break/snap and he apologized and just said he couldn't do it.  

If by a miracle it can done, than I don't want the speeds to slow down.   

I don't have any pictures to show currently.  It's going through my backyard where there is a lot of trees/plants.  After checking it out, I don't see why the tech couldn't do it other than he just didn't want to go through the hassle of through the trees/plants.  

So I'm at a bit of a lost.  

Get started...

Ask a new question