AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
lqid10t's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Sep 29, 2022 7:54 PM

Square Half Mile Avoided By AT&T Fiber

I've been interested in AT&T Fiber for more than 4 years at this point. For context, I live in half a square mile section that is fully surrounded by AT&T fiber, and I can stand outside on my porch and visibly see homes that have access to fiber. The "Notify Me" form is quite laughable at this point, as clearly AT&T has either forgotten about my section of the city or some other excuse. Is there any way to talk to an actual AT&T rep, to see what can be done to bring fiber to this last section of homes that it surrounds?

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.7K Messages

2 months ago

Talk to someone who can help, not really.

ATT stated goal is 50% fiber of hardwired footprint by 2026. This is 30 million out of estimated 60 million residential addresses which includes apartments / condo complexes (MDUs), single family homes and mixed.

Some zip codes are over 80% fiber while others are less than 20%. If everyone surrounding has fiber but your section and no area (zip code) will likely be the 100%. 

You may need to consider relocating or waiting another 3+ years to see which half of the fiber divid your address will be a part of.

My observation is dense population per square mile, at least 60 addresses with 150 to 400 being better, smaller lots, aerial structure (poles) and currently FTTN service which is internet speeds of 25, 50, 75 or 100.

HOW many of the above do you meet?

Edit... newer construction developments build since 2015 are likely fiber.

ATT is the ILEC, not a different provider such as CenturyLink, FairPoint, Frontier, TDS, Windstream or other Telcom provider. In zipcode 53188, ATT covers 90% of the approximately 15,000 addresses.. the other 1500 addresses are CenturyLink area and will not see ATT Fiber.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I am in zip code 48088. They recently brought fiber south of the main street that I live at, and nearly everywhere else within multiple square miles has fiber. I know of at least a dozen residents who are willing to jump on AT&Ts fiber in my area. I can practically see the nodes on my porch. Looking at google maps and roughly doing the math on the number of houses in this half a square mile, there's about 8-900, and to my knowledge is FTTN on poles.

I appreciate the attempt at assistance you're giving, but if I were a typical customer, 90% of what you just said would have gone over my head with the technical terms you used. AT&T has had fiber within viewing distance of my porch, since before I moved into this house almost 5 years ago and has seemingly made no attempt to finish the job south of the street they stopped at. As said previously, they just recently added fiber to the square mile south of me. I have made every attempt to reach out to customer service and literally anyone I can to get ahold of someone that can actually make decisions or at least give me a quote in regards to running the line to the rest of us, or at least to my (Edited per community guidelines) house. I even had a customer service rep sell me "fiber" and I spent over three hours on the phone afterwards trying to cancel my order because he was selling me a 50Mbit service.

"Talk to someone who can help, not really."
Not really sure what you were trying to say here, whether it was being snarky or what, but this is my last ditch effort to reach someone at AT&T since the "Notify Me" form is pretty much useless. I don't know why they're avoiding the section I live in, but I'm the only section for miles that now doesn't have their fiber.

(edited)

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

2 months ago

He’s not being snarky. There is no one from att that you can talk to to find out anything about fiber. It’s top secret info as to where and when they deploy fiber. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

2 months ago

It could also be that at the time of development of your particular area, there was no agreement in place with AT&T to run fiber. Especially if your area is newer than the surrounding ones, or vice versa. AT&T, or any provider for that matter, can't just decide that they want to extend their fiber deployment to increase their customer base. It's not that easy as outlined by @my thoughts  above. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.7K Messages

2 months ago

48088 one of several zip codes for Warren Michigan, population 140k+, 3rd largest city in Michigan and an inner ring of Detroit.

Has 90% ATT coverage consisting of both fiber and IPBB (Uverse platforms of VDSL FTTN and ADSL2+). Meaning 10% of addresses have no ATT hardwired coverage. 

https://broadbandnow.com/ATT

select fiber after activation of map and move to your area shows very patchy fiber coverage… Roseville and St Clair Shores to the east have high fiber coverage.

As previous stated, not all addresses will receive direct fiber, with over 19 million already available out of planned 30 million by 2026 within 21 state footprint… ATT needs to add about 11 million more total addresses in less than 3.5 years. 

My question is can you currently order ATT internet for your home, and if yes what is the speed tier available?

My zip code (total of three for Waukesha, Wi population 72k… county seat and about 15 miles west of Milwaukee) is about 35% ATT fiber and has the most fiber of the three, I would estimate our city total fiber coverage is around 25% to 28%. While some cities in Milwaukee county are around 80% coverage such as Wauwatosa and West Allis. 

From planning to activation can be 18 to 24 months. All expansion for next year should already be planned and construction either started or near starting by contractors.

Goal is adding 3 million per year residential addresses within footprint, fiber budget includes cellular (5G) and hardwired fiber is $2 billion per month or $24 billion annual in both 2022 and 2023 with planned expenses around $20 billion in 2024 as fiber expansion nears the 30+ million goal. 

https://about.att.com/story/2022/analyst-and-investor-day.html

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.