Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
SMiTTY4x4's profile

3 Messages

Monday, January 29th, 2024 4:24 PM

Sporadic speeds

I have 5G internet to the house and 10G internal on my LAN. When I was first installed, I was seeing great speeds (4500+ in both directions).

Over the last few weeks I have seen this degrade and seems to be all over the map. Speed Test from the router shows this. 
I have rebooted the router and still no improvement.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 months ago

You share the 10 Gigabit XGS-PON connection to AT&T with up to 64 of your neighbors.  Apparently some of your neighbors are using the circuit too.

3 Messages

3 months ago

When the tech came out, he said I was the only one on the connection. I live out in the country and most of my neighbors aren't running fiber.
I get it that we share....

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 months ago

You are the only one on your fiber to the PFP.  But at the PFP is a splitter that splits/combines the light for up to 64 customers.  "Combines" is sort of a misnomer because on upstream your ONT knows when it is allowed to shine for very, very brief moments so as not to interfere with the upstream of other ONTs.  You could have an issue (other than competition), but if the tech came out and found that your light levels are okay, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I assume that you weren't using the connection (at least not very much) when you were running the speed tests?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

3 months ago

If Att is going to market and sell 5Gb internet service, it shouldn't just be some of the time, I don't care what happens upstream. 

@SMiTTY4x4 I'd call Att out on that and see what pearls of wisdom they come back with. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.