For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
toonamo's profile

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2022 8:36 PM

Shadow.tech service slow speeds and high latency

I am in southern california with fiber 1000 service. speedtest show about 900 down and 500 up

however i get constant messages from the shadow service i have a laggy connection. happens on xbox as well

shadow did a speedtest to their datacenter in dallas and a traceroute. they found that the att servers in san jose, chicago, and dallas were adding about 60ms each hop and somewhere in there severely slower speeds. even dropping packets.

i have attempted to go through support, however there is only a chat and phone option that seems more inclined for standard issues. such as rebooting the modem and such. Other ISP's that had this issue include frontier and a email was able to be routed to the correct team and solved a few days later. It would be nice if ATT had a similar option.

to give more info in case it's something else causing the peering issue my setup includes
a BGW320-500 in IP Passthrough with a Unifi USG router.
i am using google and cloudfare for dns
i also am using IPV6 and confirmed my configuation is working with https://ipv6-test.com/
the computer is hardwired with a gigabit connection that i'm testing on, but a few other devices over wireless get similar results, just slightly slower speeds due to wireless

Here is what support with Shadow.tech gave me:

“It unfortunately looks like there's some unusual routing going this way as well with your data going up to San Jose and then over to Chicago before being routed down to Dallas.

I would highly recommend reaching out to AT&T to see if they can improve your network peering at all as some of the larger increases in latency are occurring on network nodes they own, so they might be able to improve your situation with some adjustments on their side.”

A screenshot of the trace route can be viewed here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wmm5W3OekXi7DYJeRhhgqN51e4yYTsDk/view?usp=sharing

ATT chat support suggested i call 3 different numbers, all 3 of which didn't work. Not sure how to get support or get this info to the correct team that could look into the issue.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

You mention in your other comment about the AT&T data centers in other states.

After hop 5 on your tracert you are no longer on AT&T servers so they are not determining how your traffic is routed.  Here are the owners of all of those hops....

154.54.13.149 PSINet, Inc.
154.54.3.39 PSINet, Inc.
154.54.40.146 PSINet, Inc.
154.54.5.102 PSINet, Inc.
142.44.208.168 OVH Hosting, Inc.
198.27.73.227 OVH Hosting, Inc.
178.32.135.153 OVH SAS
142.44.208.1 OVH Hosting, Inc.
216.180.128.125 Shadow
216.180.133.105 Shadow

That being said, a tracert isn't an accurate assessment of latency because those are usually busy servers and they are often configured to ignore or delay processing tracert-type requests so they can do their primary job.

You should run a ping test to the server(s) you game on both during times you are having issues and when you aren't (to establish a baseline).

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunately there isn’t a time I’m not having a issue. 

I’ll send that info in to shadow and see what they say. 

they claimed the PSInet was a att node 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

2 years ago

PSInet is not AT&T.  It looks like between AT&T's choice of peering providers and Shadow's hosting company OVH's choice of peering providers, PSInet was chosen as best for the route.

154.54.13.149 is in Los Angeles.  So PSInet made the decision to go around the world to get to Dallas.  

Either AT&T or OVH could ask PSInet "(Edited per community guidelines), dude, why did you do this?"  and they would have to look in to it for one of them.  But it's really hard to get to the "right person" in AT&T to get them to ask that question.  It is more likely that PSInet will see this themselves and fix it.  Or maybe Shadow has more pull with OVH.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I beleive shadow should have some pull with OVH because i believe shadow is using them to host their servers for their service.

They are both french based companies.

Hopefully shadow can do something about it, if not i'll just have to get a new video card. prices are going down so i'll live.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.