Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
lettenna's profile

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, January 28th, 2024 12:04 AM

Required Upgrade to Fiber

Like many, I have spent years getting the letters urging upgrade to fiber. The nonstop calls too.

Fiber has not been run to my service. My service runs above ground on poles from a box about half mile down the road. After much frustration with the constant calls, I finally had a technician come out to check. He confirmed fiber has not and won't be run along the line to my drop. There is service in the neighborhood behind me. The only option would be the homeowner behind us would need to agree to let them tap into his lines and then they would need to install a pole to run the service to my home. There are no telephone/power poles in that neighborhood. The technician agreed that really wasn't an option. He had it noted on the account that there is not service and the calls finally stopped. 

Two weeks ago, I got a call saying I must upgrade or lose service. I pointed out upgrade is not an option based on the technician visit. The sales rep finally understood that I can't upgrade no matter how much I'd like to. She then said something to the effect that I don't need to worry about it. 

This week I got a letter saying I must upgrade or will lose service in few months! Tried calling, but was going to have to hold for about 30 minutes. 

I need an answer. Is AT&T going to drop my service because I can't upgrade to fiber when it isn't an option?  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 months ago

Dec 31, 2036

That's a date that AT&T uses internally to mean "don't know when, but once something else gets done."

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

3 months ago

I do appreciate reading this thread.  Very entertaining except for the threatening part and Att seems more than capable of pulling the plug on service in an automated fashion.  

You may need external help like from BBB to get more focused attention. 

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

@Jeff Mc Thanks for that explanation. I thought it was there way of saying never happening. 

@gr8sho Yes, it does sound entertaining. Comedy of errors all around. I was told that once they either get me hooked up, or have clear documentation that there is no legally acceptable way to do so, They will remove me from that list to call and document that I am listed incorrectly on the list. 

Meanwhile, AT&T is trying to have the California Public Utilities Commission remove them as the carrier of last resort with the intention of disconnecting most urban/suburban and nearby areas of California from copper wiring. They seem to feel that fiber is sufficiently run to serve everyone. This leaves many who don't have reliable wireless and even less reliable internet with no means of electronic communication. On my street within three blocks I have identified and confirmed with the techs that 9 individual households have no direct connection option other than copper. 

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

3 months ago

I would definitely file a BBB complaint. That goes to their upper management which usually results in contact back from their Office of the President within a few business days.

I would keep it simple. Include you have been getting the "threatening" mail and that you've tried getting fiber but for various factors, that have been verified by numerous techs, you are unable to get fiber. They need to either update their database and desist with notifications that do not apply to you or put their money where their mouth is (say it more politely of course) and do the extensive work required to make fiber a viable option for you.

Good luck and certainly keep us posted as want to know how this plays out as may be informative for others in similar situations.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

3 months ago

Your confusing two different topics…

You have copper XDSL FTTN which is a Uverse platform deployed from 2006 to end 2015 reaching 33 million addresses in 21 states. This would include ATT Internet (25, 50, 75, 100 based upon facilities and copper distance), ATT Phone the renamed Uverse VOIP and Uverse IPTV service. The phone service is internet based using the connection on the gateway.

The carrier of last resort is for POTS or traditional copper phone service from the Central Office (CO) and has nothing to do with providing internet phone service but has to do with LEGACY DSL / phone.

You basically need your address to be declassified from being fiber eligible for upgrade and then can stay on ATT Uverse platform till that is turned off which I would expect 2030 or latter. By that time (2030) I expect all ATT offerings to be fiber, either as direct to home such as the subdivision behind you or fiber to the cell tower using 5G FWA ATT AIR… of course by 2030 will likely have or being rolled out 6G cellular service with 4G LTE being discontinued. 

(edited)

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

Thought I would update this post. Last week they sent out two technicians again to "locate" the box they say services our home. Two days of driving rain they strung cables thru the conduits in the main box trying to find this box. The technicians were told they need to prove it isn't there as the engineers say it is there. The original location identified by the engineering department was a wash. They dug with shovels and probes and found nothing but hard compacted dirt. Using test wires they identified a possible ping and marked a box for USA to come mark more exact lines in that area.

See image below. This is on my neighbor's property, not mine. This is the neighbor's driveway. Those who don't know, the red marks are underground power. Yellow is gas lines (not split going to the right goes to my fence. Orange is telecommunication lines with both orange lines running to the neighbor's side yard where their AT&T enters their home. 

Looks like if they are bound and determined to force the hook up, they will need to hand dig this area with permission from the owner next door. Or perhaps this is enough for them to stop with the threats to cut us off. I have gotten 3 emails and 2 letters since this fiasco started a month ago. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

3 months ago

Impressive.  Hope it works out for you.  The quicker they fix you up the sooner they can get to my neighborhood.  🤪

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 months ago

From the picture, that driveway doesn't seem to line up with the curb cutout.  Is that an optical illusion?  And what is that concrete to the left of the asphalt?

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

@JefferMC the area marked is a gravel driveway a prior owner of the house installed over 15 years ago. The concrete to the left is the originally poured driveway installed when the house was built. The optics can look off some as this is at the end of a court and is a semi circle.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

2 months ago

Time for a fun update on this. posting on March 26, 2024. 

So, after many attempts to locate the fiber line that the techs were told was run for my house, it was determined no line existed. The box they said was in my rear neighbors gravel driveway was dug and found no box, but the end of the conduit for the neighbor's service line.

It was decided, they will try to run a second fiber line through that conduit. and then underground conduit to my utility pole. At one point we were told the line "might" have to be laid above ground until they could underground it. 

Meanwhile the emails and mailed letters threatening to cut our service off if we didn't upgrade, graduated to notices our service was disconnected and unless we upgrade, we won't be able to restore our service at the "discounted rate". Fortunately, they didn't disconnect us yet. Several calls have been made in response to the notices and each time, when the looked into it, they said the emails and letters would stop. Got one more yesterday - they have not stopped. 

Since digging up the neighbors driveway to install the missing box, utility markings had to be all redone as they were whipped out by digging. The guy doing the gas line laughed yesterday as it was his third visit. The guy to mark the cable and phone lines laughed as they wanted the lines marked from the road behind us to our home. No such lines exist there. They run from the utility pole to our house. 

This morning two guys showed up to lay the conduit from the box behind us to our utility pole! Talk about being shocked. I was not able to watch as I had an appointment. They did say they were going to have to dig out and cut some tree roots to make it work. From what my husband says, it took them a little over an hour and they didn't cut the roots. Dug up the neighbors driveway again. Laid about 70 foot of conduit using horizontal drilling. Wish I could have seen that! 

I don't know when they plan to sting the fiber. This little project has included a ridiculous amount of manhours with repeated visits to confirm what they were told many times - There is not fiber to my home. But looks like there will be some day in the future.

Thank you all for your support and sharing of knowledge on this.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.