Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
lettenna's profile

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, January 28th, 2024 12:04 AM

Required Upgrade to Fiber

Like many, I have spent years getting the letters urging upgrade to fiber. The nonstop calls too.

Fiber has not been run to my service. My service runs above ground on poles from a box about half mile down the road. After much frustration with the constant calls, I finally had a technician come out to check. He confirmed fiber has not and won't be run along the line to my drop. There is service in the neighborhood behind me. The only option would be the homeowner behind us would need to agree to let them tap into his lines and then they would need to install a pole to run the service to my home. There are no telephone/power poles in that neighborhood. The technician agreed that really wasn't an option. He had it noted on the account that there is not service and the calls finally stopped. 

Two weeks ago, I got a call saying I must upgrade or lose service. I pointed out upgrade is not an option based on the technician visit. The sales rep finally understood that I can't upgrade no matter how much I'd like to. She then said something to the effect that I don't need to worry about it. 

This week I got a letter saying I must upgrade or will lose service in few months! Tried calling, but was going to have to hold for about 30 minutes. 

I need an answer. Is AT&T going to drop my service because I can't upgrade to fiber when it isn't an option?  

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

4 months ago

The box I refer to across the street is like this one https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D18UzelWoAMXg4z.jpg:large 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

That is a PFP which serves possibly hundreds of homes.   Do not assume that your line must come straight under the street, nor should you assume that they must tear up the street (ever heard of directional boring?)

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

4 months ago

@JefferMC. Yes I have heard of directional boring. If they could get the service actually to my property line, that is what we would do. to get it to where the lines enter the house. 

As it stands, I just got another threatening letter that if I don't upgrade they will stop my service on March 12 for failing to upgrade! The customer service person insists the lines have been run to our home so we must upgrade. Well I will be wasting some installation person's time to come out to say they can't do anything because there is no fiber running to our place. We would have seen them running the lines as they would have had to enter our property to get to the service pole. 

Just checked all the other homes running on the same service line from the box. Every one of them list as fiber not available. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

If they could get the service actually to my property line, that is what we would do. to get it to where the lines enter the house. 

Typically, no, they would not use directional boring to bring the drop from the easement to your home.  They would either use a small plow trenching machine (like they did for my neighbor) or a spade and hand trench it.

Something is amiss between the computer records and your local garage's view of reality.  I'd advise you to file an FCC complaint and have the Office of the President contact you to sort it out.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

4 months ago

There was another thread recently about a method to force an address validation on the part of Att.  It can take several weeks.  
If after that time Att insists that fiber can be installed, I’d be tempted to play along. 

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

4 months ago

@JefferMC I did not expect they would do the boring for us. We expected we would have to do it ourselves because the line has to be run under a very large paved parking area. About a thirty foot run.

Most the local technicians know where our service comes in. It's the customer service people from who knows where who won't read the notes on our file.

@gr8sho hoping the person sent out Friday can force that validation. Or maybe get the line run that half mile. Yes, I know that isn't going to happen.

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

4 months ago

To those who are following this and trying to help: update. They sent out a guy to make sure to make the changes in the node for our connection. Long story shortened, he confirmed we don't have service to our house. He said they could run a line to the box for our neighbor with permission from the owner who is an out of town landlord. They then would need to run a line from there under our 3 foot high retaining wall and then trench to the box through the root of 2  huge trees. If the landlord won't let us use his box, then they need to run from the node across the 35+ wide street, at our back yard and then run about 120 foot of line under our yard after going under the three foot retaining wall and under an 50 year old eucalyptus  and a 3 year old mulberry tree. 

Do you think they will do this? 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

4 months ago

I’ve been under the impression utility companies like Att have easement paths to be able to deliver services that don’t require need for permission.  Nevertheless, the path described does sound impressive insomuch as Att is willing to do it.  Hope it works out.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

Normally the "box" (I'm thinking hand hole) should be on the property line between your homes in the easement, so access to the hand hole itself should be no problem (i.e. not require neighboring property owner approval), and should be where your fiber drop can run on your property.  If the handhole was placed in the easement, but not at the line (i.e. in your neighboring property), then the drop should be able to run down the easement to your property at the line (again, no property owner approval needed), and then however it needs to go to get to the home.  There is a distance limit that must be considered between the tap and the home.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

18 Messages

3 months ago

Just a little update. The service tech to "connect" came out on February 2. He said he had not way to connect - as we already knew - since no fiber line to the house. He called his supervisor who came out. They looked at everything, made numerous calls to others. Confirmed no fiber to our home. No fiber on the lines that run up to our home. 

After several hours they advised they would try to put an order through to bore under the pavement from a node across the street from the back of our lot. They would request the line be buried to our service pole and then run to the house. Same day, I get an text saying "We'll bury a line to your location on or before Saturday 02/24. Not need to be there if we have access to your yard." 

Two days ago, 02/10 a guy from Digitech saying he was here to lay a line. But since it wasn't already at the back of our lot, he couldn't do it.

Our order now shows "Your internet and phone service will change on Wed, Dec 31, 2036." No that isn't at typo. That is what it says. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.