Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Apr 28, 2018 7:57 AM

Request Fiber Optic Internet

Our neighborhood is current only less than 100 feet from a fiber optic cable that runs through the city. I was wondering if a way to get an AT&T Technician to install fiber optics in our homes. 

Responses

dave006

Scholar

• 

1.4K Messages

2 months ago

@hollywooddchi

The nearest ATT splitter/node I found (F 776-1) was within 1,200 feet, give or take, on Cobblestone Rd. This should be well within the distance of the 1,800 ft max for gigabit bandwidth, I assume.

According to the coverage maps provided by broadbandnow.com, if accurate, my place falls within a, supposed, non-coverage zone right down the middle of the community.

Sorry but the box that you took a picture of (F 776-1) is not fiber and 1800 ft is not the issue. You need to be within 500 ft of a Fiber terminal. It does not look very promising.

Dave

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

@dave006 

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If that's not the location that provides ATT fiber to that street then, I don't know where it is. According to the broadbandnow.com map and verified also by ATT's own fiber availability address search on that street, there's a terminal somewhere in that vicinity. What ticks me off is that I can't get anyone within ATT to simply perform some kind of survey to understand what it would take to extend the network one more block. I've spoken to several of my neighbors who are Charter Spectrum service customers that would perfer to jump ship but can't because it's the only available option at the moment. Frustrating!

dave006

Scholar

• 

1.4K Messages

2 months ago

What ticks me off is that I can't get anyone within ATT to simply perform some kind of survey to understand what it would take to extend the network one more block.

We can all understand your frustration but just a reminder fiber is not designed to be extended.

It is designed for a specific area of coverage. Each installation has what is know as a light budget. So it can extend only so from the Primary Flexibility Point (PFP). The PFP is normally in a one or two door tan cabinet. Here is a sample of a very small PFP that supports up to 216 customers.

A Fiber terminal could be aerial or buried. Based on your picture above it looks like you have underground utilities. So you would be looking for ground mounted plates. They may be green or grey do you see any of those on the other blocks?

Dave

my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.8K Messages

2 months ago

For underground service will be either a pedestal, notice square base with round tube

AT&T Fiber Pedestal Ordering Guide 2019_AT&T Fiber Pedestal Ordering Guide  2014.qxd

or a ground 

My Experience With AT&T GigaPower Internet, U-Verse Phone, and DirecTV

PFPs are generally found on the one edge of the area covered... may be on a pole, on a cement slab, or underground vault, in addition to be inside a building. Alleyways behind the main street listed.

Your picture appears to be of copper terminal for phone and possible UVERSE FTTN which uses last mile copper. 

Direct Fiber allows internet 1000, if check the addresses in the surrounding areas, if cannot receive 1000 but only 100, 75, 30 or 25 this is Fiber To The Node (FTTN) deployed from 2006-end 2015.

If have aerial poles looking for fiber terminal with fingers...

Agenda Cover Memorandum

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.8K Messages

2 months ago

Agenda Cover Memorandum

Bringing Google Fiber to Portland could be an eyesore for some residents,  as Google would install about 15 “fiber huts” and about 200 utility  cabinets in public areas to help distribute its

Fourth AT&T Cable Box Explodes, Darn You, Lithium-Ion Batteries! –  Consumerist

Some examples based upon what has been done... 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

@dave006 & @my thoughts 

Thanks for all of your insight. I will take a walk around the neighborhood and see if I can track down these junctions and estimate how far they are.  Next question, once I do find out this info, can you describe how do I adequately petition someone in the company to provide some kind of yea or nay, level of effort or timeline to extend another block over?

Thanks again!

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I want to request fiver optic service in my area. My zipcode is 33029. Our location has no att services. I like att over xfinity cable so please come to this area immediately. 

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I suppose if something were to destroy the AT&T boxes, nodes, and PfPs, AT&T would be inclined to go out and fixed these issues. If an area experiences mechanical failure, AT&T would be forced to repair the infrastructure and repair/replace lines. Service could extended to new areas if enough infrastructure is disabled...

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.8K Messages

2 months ago

@DisgruntledCitizen If a hurricane or large uncontrolled wild fire damages infrastructure could take years (Hurricane Katrina (August 2005) New Orleans as example) could take year(s) to upgrade or replace infrastructure. 

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2305754/rewiring-new-orleans.html

Verizon had similar issues with Hurricane Sandy (2012) on the east coast with 2 plus year rebuild...

Conclusion while a major event could lead to eventual better services, for a period of time (weeks, months, years) consumers / customers will be worse off than before the event. 

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

@my thoughts 

hurricanes have really done a number on the infrastructure of south eastern NC. Matthew and Florence drowned Lumberton and everything below the Lumber river. But what goes into determining a network grid, not fiber? I understand fiber is limited by light but cable lines are still viable. 

My experiences with AT&T were probably different from yours. I spent 25 years managing a call center, but I was late to the newer internet services. I just don’t understand why AT&T let a bunch of acquired lines go to waste and opted to lay new ones. I understand that federal grants incentives new lines and fiber technology but when AT&T bought out regional providers in the mid-2000s, a lot of the lines were scrapped. For example, I worked for Southern Bell which was acquired by BellSouth, then later AT&T. Southern Bell/BellSouth used the same land lines and dsl lines but when AT&T took over, the dsl lines were cut while the phone lines were upgraded.

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.8K Messages

2 months ago

Your history may be a little fuzzy...

ATT did not buy, they were bought... by SBC (South Western Bell) who 1st purchased California / Nevada (PacTel) in 1997 then Ameritech (Midwest) in 1999 with ATT Long Lines (2005) and Bell South (2006)...

Thus the ATT of today is SBC dba ATT

Along the way they purchased the remaining part of Cingular Wireless (now ATT Wireless), Cricket (2013) 

And we haven't stopped. In 2013, we bought Cricket to give customers in the growing prepaid market more access to mobile Internet services. In 2015, we completed our purchase of 2 Mexican wireless companies, lusacell and Nextel Mexico. Today, we're spurring smartphone adoption and on our way to becoming a leading wireless provider in that country, too. And our 2015 acquisition of DIRECTV makes us the world's largest pay TV provider.

This rich history supports our ongoing mission: Connect people with their world, everywhere they live, work and play ... and do it better than anyone else.

Today, we're mobilizing video the way we mobilized the Internet ... securing business communications from the smartphone to the cloud ... and making cars, homes, machines, even cities smarter. And we're looking forward with anticipation to the future.

Note the purchases of wireless companies expanded outside US markets, the purchase of DirecTv in 2015 made them western hemisphere covering North, Central and South Americas. 

The purchase of Time Warner Media makes them a content provider 

https://about.att.com/story/att_completes_acquisition_of_time_warner_inc.html#:~:text=AT%26T%20Inc.,mobile%20and%20broadband%20customer%20relationships.

Stephenson said the future of media entertainment is rapidly converging around three elements required to transform how video is distributed, paid for, consumed and created. Today, AT&T brings together:

• Premium Content: Broadly distributed, robust premium content portfolio that combines leading movies and shows from Warner Bros., HBO and Turner, along with more targeted digital content from Bleacher Report, FilmStruck and AT&T’s investment in Otter Media, among others.
  • Direct to Consumer Distribution (D2C): AT&T has more than 170 million D2C relationships across its TV, video streaming, mobile and broadband services in the U.S., mobile in Mexico, TV in Latin America, in addition to D2C digital properties such as HBO NOW, Boomerang, FilmStruck and CNN.com.
  • High-Speed Networks: AT&T‘s leading wireless and fiber network, including investments in new technology such as 5G, will provide the network bandwidth required as customers increase engagement with premium video and emerging 4K and virtual reality content.

Company Structure, Executive Leadership

AT&T Inc. consists of four businesses. This structure allows each business to operate independently and move quickly, while at the same time innovating across AT&T with content, connectivity and advertising. The four business are:

• AT&T Communications provides mobile, broadband, video and other communications services to U.S.-based consumers and nearly 3.5 million companies – from the smallest business to nearly all the Fortune 1000 – with highly secure, smart solutions. Revenues from these services totaled more than $150 billion in 2017.
  • AT&T’s media business consists of HBO, Turner and Warner Bros. Together, these businesses had revenues of more than $31 billion in 2017. A new name for this business will be announced later.
  • AT&T International provides mobile services in Mexico to consumers and businesses, plus pay-TV service across 11 countries in South America and the Caribbean. It had revenues of more than $8 billion in 2017. 
  • AT&T’s advertising and analytics business provides marketers with advanced advertising solutions using valuable customer insights from AT&T’s TV, mobile and broadband services, combined with extensive ad inventory from Turner and AT&T’s pay-TV services. A name for this company will be announced in the future.

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Hi I am also trying to connect fiber to my house. It’s a new house in a subdivision where the established homes have fiber. These new homes are starting to be completed within the next month. Mines will be complete in 10 days. There’s a node in front of my house. But every time I call AT&T they tell me they don’t have any internet service in that area. The numbers on it are F530-1

Get started...

Ask a new question