Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums



1 Message

Mon, May 20, 2019 2:44 PM

Recommended Internal house wiring for a new house that will be connected to 1G AT&T fiber?

I am building a new house in a new housing development that requires AT&T fiber per the HOA.  Since I plan to transfer my existing AT&T U-verse service when I move I wanted to have the new house ready for the maximum speed available.  What type of wiring do you recommend be pre-installed from the exterior service entrance to interior the wiring closet?  Cat 5, 6 or fiber? 


Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Brand User

Community Support


140.6K Messages

2 years ago

Congratulations on your new home, @Tyrian.

AT&T Fiber uses an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) to convert the light signals from Fiber, so that the signal can be transmitted via Ethernet. To get the optimal speeds for your Fiber package, you should use Cat 5E or Cat 6 Ethernet inside of your home.

We hope this helps!

John, AT&T Community Specialist

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Get started...

Ask a new question