Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021 3:40 PM

Public ip Address on customer's device(router or firewall)

How AT&T Wi-Fi Gateway will be configured during the first installation? Is it possible to choose "modem" or "router" mode?

In "modem" mode, will my device(which will be behind AT&T Wi-Fi Gateway) receive public ip address?

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

No there is no modem mode available on any of the AT&T Gateways.

You can use port mapping to select ports to send your device or select IP/Passthrough mode to have the Public IP shared from the AT&T Gateway and a device on the LAN side of the interface.

It could be a computer, firewall or a third-party router. What device do you have and we can provide the steps to setup IP/Passthrough mode?

Or an alternative depending on what device you have and it's capabilities. However if you get a new BGW320-50x with it's internal ONT your only option is IP/Passthrough at this time.

Dave

Dave

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

Here is an article that covers the basics using IP/Passthrough or DMZPlus mode (5268ac only).

https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-internet/KM1188700

Dave

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

My device is pfsense firewall - i would like to setup VPN IPSec Site-2-Site with 2nd location.

It looks that DHCPS-fixed solution is the best option for me.

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

Yes that's the best option for planning purposes until your install and find out if you get a Gateway & standalone ONT or a BGW320 Gateway/ONT combination.

The BGW320-50x have a 5 Gbps LAN port, what WAN port do you have on your Pfsense box?

If you get a gateway with a standalone ONT then you can look into bypassing the AT&T Gateway using a "Dumb Switch" bypass method. A quick good will give you an overview.

Note: The Dumb Switch Bypass or any bypass method only works in areas where the Infrastructure has not been upgraded to XGS-PON technology then all current know bypass methods don't work.

Dave

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Pfsense box has 4x1Gb/s ports. The option with bypass method could not work for me. In Dallas area there is a XGS-PON technology as I know.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.