Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Young678's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Aug 28, 2016 6:44 PM

Power supply for gigapower + uverse at(ont) outside

Hi all,
I' m having my gigapower and uverse installing next week.
For those of you who have had the same type of services, how does your tech get power to power up the ONT outside? On my case i have the electrical outlet at meter 2' from the att wire stub up. Will att tech able to use that outlet to power up their ONT or does it have run to some where indoor? It's back to back of the garage by the way! I also have 2 cat:5 wires from there ran to closet under stairs where all my network router. With some of your info and suggestion it would be helpful.
ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

176.4K Messages

5 y ago

Hi @Young678,

Our technician will use a secure power outlet. In the past, it has been placed in the garage. When the tech goes out, he or she will let you know what needs to be done. 

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

fair enough. just a little concerned here, hopping that they can use the outlet outside next to the ONT to power up. just don't want to see wire being straps along in and out because verything is all there!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

updated.

Ok got the things installed yesterday!

Love it! The tech. Was able to find place for the plugin, everythings went smooth acept for one thing but it just an mistaked by the tech.(human mistake) small don't count. I got one question here for everyone here and att admin. Where is the back up battery for the white box inside or the att uverse router? Should it come with one? I got none on it!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

They dont supply them anymore, if you have voice services with at&t then you can get the backup batteries online. The battery only keeps the voice line powered in case of a power 

failure, not the internet.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

thanks for replied,

no i dont have voice with att but internet and uverse tv. like you said i may have to find them battery online if i wanted.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

25.6K Messages

5 y ago

The battery for the ONT power supply (if it has a slot for one) would allow you to continue to use Internet and TV... assuming that your Gateway (inside box) has full external power.  If you don't have U-verse voice, then don't bother purchasing its internal backup battery as it will do you no good; instead purchase a decent UPS with enough KVA to cover the Gateway's power requirement and enough Ah to run it through the duration of an outage.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks jefferMC. That make senes. UPS supply will be my choice to go with now.

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 y ago

I have a pacemaker and phone service is important  ONT in basement and Gateway on first floor.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.