Everyone gets our best deals on every smartphone - Black Friday gift deals are still here!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Kenbran4l's profile

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Aug 19, 2022 8:16 PM

New fiber installation in home

AT&T is running new fiber lines in my neighborhood, right through my front yard, and I have a question about the installation. What connections do they need at the outside wall of the house? When I built my house I installed a box on side of the house with 2x coaxial cable and 2x insolated cat6 cables that run from the outside box to my network closet where I have my gateway/router and switch. Will the fiber install use one of these Cat6 cables or will they need to run a new line?

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

3 months ago

A fiber line will need to be run into your home. Depending on how they are installed, the cat6 might be used to pull fiber to the network closet. Is the cat6 in conduit? How far to the network closet?

Fiber NID. 

Waffless

Employee

• 

40 Messages

3 months ago

They would just use the CAT6 you installed. Hopefully you ran that back to a networking closet and then the modem would be installed in there. 

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

3 months ago

ATT does not use outside ONTs anymore. Fiber will be run into the house. Either directly to the gateway with a built in ONT or to an indoor ONT. Cat5/6 from the indoor ONT to the gateway. 

dave006

Scholar

• 

3.3K Messages

3 months ago

@browndk26 

Actually the ability to have a Slack NID installed varies by Market area. In the Northern states most tech will have a box of 5 Slack NIDs on the truck in the morning dispatch.

In Southern more temperate markets they may be an "optional" as you can ask tech but by default the recommended is to skip the Slack NID and save the 15-20 minutes and save the cost of  the Slack NID.

Dave

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

Why is AT&T keep saying fully booked can't provide  internet service service at my address but my mom lives next door to me and she has AT&T internet DSL Cashtown road Bremen GA 

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you for the response. Yes, the cat6 runs from the outside box to the network closet(30’ ish). I will just schedule an appointment and see what the tech says. If I have to run new wires into the house I will just keep the service I have. 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.7K Messages

3 months ago

@dave006 

considering the amount of Dash-O tickets, Uverse tech does drop installing NID one to two days before scheduled install which is normally contractor installation, I am not aware this is market specific…. what was SOP 2 years ago is no longer the case in 2022. 

I can install several NIDs every day both from DASH-Os and all buried wire jobs copper or fiber now requiring NID allowing for outside point testing and ability to replace drop without entering home.

edit… full tech install with aerial drop does not require NID.

All contractor installation (aerial or buried) requires NID as the contractor works from NID to gateway installing the home run, equipment, registration, testing.

(edited)

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

3 months ago

@tmccormick40 AT&T is not connecting new dsl customers in many markets. You could file an fcc complaint to see if you can actually get it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.