Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Okcff2010's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 10th, 2019 4:51 AM

New construction house prewire

Hello all! I am in the wiring phase of my new home build. I will be using directv cable and att fiber internet. I have a few questions of the locations of my devices. I have a bonus room with a cable management box in the closet. My plan is for them to run the fiber to that box. I need to place the modem/router in my living room for a more centralized location to aid in the WiFi coverage so I was going to run a dedicated cat6 cable from my cable management box, where the fiber will terminate, to the living room for the modem hookup. It’s about a 25ft run, will this work okay? The other question is I will have cat 6 ran to all bedrooms to hardwire the smart TVs. All the cat6 cables will terminate in the cable management box into a 12 port switch. What’s the easiest way to power the switch? Can I go straight from that box they install to terminate the fiber that outputs one main Ethernet cable, using it to power the switch and then power my modem from the switch? Or  Do I need to run a separate cat6 from the modem in my living room back to the switch? It just seems redundant to run cat6 from cable management box to modem and then back to same location to power my cat6 switch 

Constructive

Employee

• 

30.5K Messages

4 years ago

depending on which fiber service you get usually they place an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) in the garage then cat5 or 6 from the ont to the modem, so you will need cat 6 from the ONT to the central area where the modem will be placed if your prewiring the home you would be best to anticipate power plugs in as many different locations better to have too much than too little cableing and power..

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

So it’s not possible for them to run fiber inside the home through my attic, then drop it into my wiring closet and mount the ONT there? The wiring closet will be the hub for all my CAT6 wiring, with outputs going to my modem and all rooms where I will be hardwiring TV’s,computers, etc..

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you. That’s exactly what I planned on doing. Do you have a recommendation on which type of conduit to use? It will be about a 50ft run, with almost all of it being a straight shot across my attic then dropped into my wiring closet. I have an ample amount of smurf tubing if that will work

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

That was my original plan but I thought there were recently issues setting up a WAP using ATT’s gateway. That’s why I thought placing the gateway in a central location would be best for wireless access

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.