Announcements
Ace Back to School with AT&T's A+ deals!
rolldog's profile
rolldog
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

Mon, Jun 7, 2021 7:07 PM

New AT&T Fiber 1000 installation tomorrow

I’ve been using Cox Gigablast for the last 4 years, but now that my neighborhood is finally wired for fiber, I’ve decided to switch providers and the installation is happening tomorrow. I consistently get approximately 960Mbps download speed and approximately 40Mbps upload speed so I’m hoping to gain a little more upload speed after changing providers, but the biggest benefit is price. Cox charges about $120mo for their service, and since they have a data cap, I have to pay an additional $50 for unlimited data, otherwise, I’m charged $10 for every 50GB over 1TB, or something like that.

My neighbor across the street currently has AT&T Fiber, and he sent me a screenshot of his Speedtest results. I’m planning to print my Speedtest before the install just to show the tech what kind of speeds I’ve been getting with Cox, and if my speed ends up looking like the pic shown below, I’ll have the tech hook my Cox back up. All my life, I’ve never used any equipment provided by the service provider, I’ve always used my own modem, router, etc. Currently, all my equipment is Ubiquiti UniFi. I’m using a UDM Pro as my gateway/router, which connects to two 24 port switches and three 16 port switches (I have 1 rack downstairs and 2 racks upstairs), and I have 6 APs setup around the house in specific locations so my WiFi signal is maximized everywhere and any client can seamlessly roam from one AP to another. I have about 100 clients on my network, about half are hardwired and the other half wireless, and even though this doesn’t really apply, I have 300+ Zigbee devices throughout the house and outside. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I need to make sure the tech does when arriving tomorrow so I can maximize my throughput? Like I mentioned, if I’m showing speeds like the ones shown below after installation, I’m having the tech remove everything and set everything back up the way it was. I’m looking forward to getting a little feedback.

Responses

my thoughts

Employee

• 

17.9K Messages

2 m ago

What speed tier does the neighbor subscribe to?

If the account is 300/300 I would say those numbers look good.

Additionally there are the internal speed test, what the gateway sees, and external what your devices may see...

You can perform an internal speed test of the ATT gateway using the Smart Home Manager app once connected, the tech can also show you the gateway speeds being reported on their device (iphone or ipad).

If desire is higher upload, your neighbor has 9x the upload you have. 

And all at a lower price...

(edited)

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

2 m ago

For advice on using your current equipment with att, post here. 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/network

Typically you would put the gateway in ip passthrough to your router.

Your wired speedtests should be good. I get 800 plus up and down on my Apple TV. My pc is old so I only get 500 up/down on it. 

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

2 m ago

Well, the tech came out and setup the modem, but he had to install it upstairs in my upstairs equipment room instead of my downstairs equipment room because the the the cables are run to get the the downstairs equipment room. So, I had a new cable drop installed today so I can actually plug it into my gateway. I'm still using Cox internet, but was able to run a speedtest off the new modem via WiFi before turning it off, preventing it from disrupting all my current equipment. While I've been waiting for the CAT to be run from the upstairs room to the downstairs room, I've been reading a lot about how this is supposed to work and it sounds like a lot of work. 

From what I understand, I need to buy some certificates to put in the (Edited per community guidelines) directory of this modem via SSH in order to run the fiber signal to my UDM Pro so I can use my UDM Pro to do everything this 320 modem is supposed to do? Is this correct? I thought it had an IP passthrough feature I could enable, but apparently that's only on the older modems. Is all this necessary for me to set this thing up to work with all my UniFi equipment?

https://wells.ee/journal/2020-08-05-bypassing-att-fiber-modem-udmp/

(edited)

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

2 m ago

I didn’t realize Ubiquiti had more than one UDM Pro. I thought they had the basic UDM and the UDM Pro, and that’s it. I won’t be able to run fiber down from the modem to the UDM Pro because of all the twists and turns all the other 100 cables took when run from the upstairs equipment room to the downstairs equipment room. I honestly haven’t even turned the modem on yet because I’m trying to figure out what I need to do before connecting it to my UDM Pro. I’m guessing some sort of pass through mode so my UDM Pro can handle my firewall and everything else, if so, how do I access it and once it’s setup, does this automatically disable DHCP server, firewall, WiFi, etc?

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

2 m ago

Okay, I'll give this a try. After making these changes on the AT&T 320, do I just need to plug it into the WAN input on my UDM Pro and everything should work or are any changes needed in the UDM Pro? The WiFi in the 320 modem works pretty good, but since it'll be setup for IP passthrough, I guess using its WiFi won't be an option for clients with range of the modem since it's only passing through a WAN IP address to my UDM Pro and won't actually be a device on my local network once it's setup for IP passthrough, right? Getting a UniFi WiFi 6 AP is impossible, so it would be nice if some clients would be able to utilize it on this modem.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

2 m ago

The gateway WiFi will still be able to be used. Just leave it on. Turn on the att security in the smart home manager app for WiFi security. 

app preferences

(edited)

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

1 m ago

I wish I could. The tech installed it in my upstairs equipment room, about 2’ under one of my APs, so if I keep it enabled, it’ll create a lot of interference, plus, any client connecting to its WiFi wouldn’t be able to talk to anything else on the network, since my UDM Pro if going to be used as my DHCP, firewall, etc. I’ll just have to try finding some UniFi WiFi 6 APs if they’re ever back in stock

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

1 m ago

After re reading your first post. I see now you have AP’s already connected. Prior to att, how was your WiFi signal broadcast? If you had a wireless router before, use it again and turn off the gateway WiFi. 

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

1 m ago

I had a DOCSIS 3.1 modem providing the gigabit connection from Cox, but all it did was provide the connection. It then is set to my UniFi UDM Pro, which distributes the signal to 2 24 port switches, 3 16 port switches, and 6 APs. My UDM Pro usually handles my firewall, DHCP server, etc.

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

1 m ago

Okay, I finally got everything setup and running using IP Passthrough on the BWG320, and in the setting for my UDM Pro, I was able to set it up using MAC address clone to assume the MAC address of the BWG320. However, the IP address assigned to the WAN port of my UDM Pro is 192.168.1.134. The IP address of my UDM Pro is 192.168.1.1, but I thought after setting up the AT&T modem to passthrough mode, a public WAN IP would be passed through. Did I miss something when setting this up? 

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

1 m ago

FINALLY! It's working! Thanks a ton everyone! I had it working earlier using the default IP address of the AT&T modem and disabling the DHCP server, but the speeds weren't as fast as I was expecting. After changing the IP address and subnet of the AT&T modem, everything is working again, but oddly enough, my upload speeds aren't even close to what they were when the AT&T modem was set on the same subnet as everything else with DHCP disabled. 

Since the tech installed this thing last week, I did connect to it directly via WiFi and was amazed at the speed I was getting, thinking I would get similar speeds, but I forgot about how much my upload/download speed is affected when the internet connection is fed through my UDM Pro with DPI & IPS enabled. If I didn't get 100+ threat management alerts every day from random IPs trying to access my NAS, I would disable IPS so I could increase my throughput.

I still don't understand why the speed difference between having the AT&T modem set on my subnet with DHCP disabled vs having it on its own subnet. It only affects the upload speed, which is about 600Mbps slower having the AT&T modem on a different subnet, but it might have something to do with everything being offline for an hour or so and once the connection was reestablished, more traffic was being sent. Either way, it's working now, and that's all that matters. I'll give myself 24 hours before disconnecting my Cox internet, just in case.  

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

1 m ago

Okay, now that I at least have an internet connection feeding my UDM Pro, is it possible to passthrough IPv6 as well? I've always been using IPv6 on the LAN side, but I'm not showing IPv6 on the WAN side, despite the BGW320 IPv6 working before setting it up for IP Passthrough. Previously, Prefix delegation was set for 64 when I was with Cox, does AT&T use something else or are there other settings I'm missing having moved from Cox to AT&T Fiber 1000?

rolldog

Teacher

• 

51 Messages

1 m ago

One last thing, I setup my AT&T modem to us 192.168.100.1 as the IP address so it's using a different subnet than my network, but the WAN IP address I'm showing on my UDM Pro is 192.168.100.64. Is this how it's supposed to be or should I be receiving a public WAN IP?

Get started

Ask a question
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.