AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
theangler's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Sep 8, 2022 2:43 PM

Neighbor eligible for Fiber . . . but I'm not

Hi - I've just discovered that my neighbor (175 feet away) is eligible for AT&T Fiber (Internet 1000), but my address still shows only Internet 10. 

Any suggestions how to reach someone at AT&T who can assess whether the Fiber line can be extended to my house?

Thanks!

dave006

Scholar

• 

3.3K Messages

3 months ago

They can't just extend Fiber service to your address. Your address would have had to be part of the initial planned Fiber service area.  Fiber is not designed like an extension cord. You can just extend the Fiber. Each Fiber service are has physical distance limitations.

Now could you tell us more about your location vs your neighbor that qualifiers for Fiber?

Is the 175 ft a strait line or as utility easements would run along streets or utility poles? Is there a street between you addresses or maybe they are across the street from you?

Do any addresses on your side of the street qualify for Fiber service?

Dave

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

Hi Dave!  Thanks for the info. 

The two closest houses to me that qualify for fiber (according to AT&T's website) are not separated by any roads.   We are all off of a state road, on the same side.  One house (775 feet away) is separated from me by a utility easement; the closer house (175 feet) is separated only by a fence and some trees.

I've attached a Google Maps screenshot.  The yellow circle is my house, and the yellow line is my driveway.  The red line is the neighbors' driveway, which extends from a neighboring subdivision.  You can see the utility easement running diagonally across.  The two houses on the red line are the 175-foot neighbor and the 775-foot neighbor.

I welcome any guidance you can give me, and I'm glad to provide more information.
Thanks!
--Dwayne
dave006

Scholar

• 

3.3K Messages

3 months ago

@theangler 

The red line is the neighbors' driveway, which extends from a neighboring subdivision.

This likely your issue the fiber service is based in the neighboring subdivision and you neighbor is as far as serve was planned due to light budget for the Fiber service area.

It appears you have aerial utility service and it would be logical that the last Fiber tap is at the house that is 775 ft point.

Only way to know is to look at the utility poles at each house and post a picture of any boxes or cases you see attached with an Orange tag near by with letters and or numbers.

Was you property developed at the same time as the other 2 properties?

Dave

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.7K Messages

3 months ago

Based upon a quick glance, your driveway entrance is on different street from the driveway access of the other two. If this is the case your street is not part of the planned development… is there a house on the other side of you? If yes, do they qualify for fiber service?

Red line is neighbors driveway which extends from a neighboring subdivision, means your driveway does not extend from the subdivision? Result is your address is outside the planned neighborhood subdivision development?

(edited)

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

@dave006  I drove the neighbor's driveway this morning and noted several things.  I've used a Google Maps screenprint (attached) to illustrate.

First, along the neighbor's driveway there are several white flags in the ground which read something like "Proposed phone line trench - ATT/D".   (yellow dots in the attached diagram).  Then at the intersection of the subdivision and the county road, there's a telephone pole with the red apparatus at the top as shown in the attached photo.  There's no writing on it though.  Running down that telephone pole is a metal conduit labeled "ATT underground cable" (see attached photo). 

I did not see any overhead wires or telephone poles within the subdivision - only along the county road.

@my thoughts - you are correct - my driveway entrance is about 150-200 yards further down the county road than this subdivision.  At your suggestion I checked my other two nearest neighbors.  The one indicated by the green box IS eligible for fiber.  His driveway (green line) is about 10 yards from mine, in the direction of the subdivision. 

The neighbor indicated by the blue box shares my driveway, and is NOT eligible for fiber, according to AT&T's website.

So at this point, it appears that AT&T either has extended its fiber network to neighboring subdivision, but not to my house (which is not in a subdivision).  I understand from @dave006 that extending  a line to my house is not as  simple as just running an extension cord. 

However, to put my initial question in context, when I first moved here I hounded Comcast/Xfinity (whose website said I WAS eligible for service) until they sent someone out.  He told me they'd charge $17K simply to run a line from my house to the street, and then they'd have to see where the nearest cable junction was.  That was not an attractive option so I've been muddling through with AT&T copper (Internet 10) ever since.

Now, with AT&T bringing fiber to within a 50 yards of my house, I'm wondering if it's feasible for them to extend the line to me - even if I had to pay them to do so. 

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

@dave006 and @my thoughts 

I hit "send" without attaching the images.  Here they are.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

3 months ago

Weekend update:  We spoke to one of the neighbors in the adjacent subdivision, and learned that an AT&T Fiber rep has been going door to door.  This may explain the visitor who we saw on the Ring the other day, who came to our door and left without leaving a note or a card!

Our neighbor provided his contact information, and it looks like all of this may be solved with a phone call Monday morning.  I'll be sure to post an update.

Thanks for your advice thus far!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.