Keyman8950's profile

• 

1 Message

Wed, Feb 23, 2022 9:57 PM

Need to extend my wifi

I need to extend my wifi on my att fiber with bg210 modem supplied by att. I don’t want to just use an extender. I have Ethernet ran to the other side of the house where I planned on installing a WAP. I’d like this to work seamlessly once installed not having to jump from the signal off the bg210 to the WAP manually. The bg 210 will supply the wifi to one side of the house where it is and when i walk to the other side it will stay on the same wifi name and seamlessly change to the wap which will have a better signal. Is this possible and how?

tinslwc

Teacher

• 

207 Messages

4分前

This is absolutely possible. Pick whatever WiFi access point you like (a router will work, but need to disable DHCP). Configure with WiFi to have the same SSID (network name) and security settings (WPA2 & passphrase). You will want to use different channels. For 2.4GHz stick to 1, 6, and 11 as they don't overlap. For 5GHz, the options are more intracate, just make sure they are different. Odds are auto channel on the WAP would work, so that's another option.

Key takeaways: Same network names, same security profiles, different channel.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

4.9K Messages

4分前

Excellent advice, as always @tinslwc but one caveat for @Keyman8950 .

The whole theory behind what you want to accomplish seems so simple but in the real world wifi devices sometimes have a mind of their own.  It won't be unusual to roam away from the gateway and have your phone or whatever just refuse to switch to the WAP (or vice versa) even though it's barely getting a signal from the farther router and the other one is like right there -->. 

Not much you can do except to disable and re-enable the device's wifi and hope it gets the message. 

Hoping all of your devices play nice and don't do dumb stuff like this!

tinslwc

Teacher

• 

207 Messages

4分前

@tonydi is right. This is due to the fact that Wifi roaming is a client action. I've seen similar behavior, but usually when 2 access points are using different WiFi revisions. For example, I have 802.11n in my house and 802.11ac in my shop (about 150' from my house). my devices will roam amongst my 3 house APs without issue, but if I go outside, they will immediately try to get on the shop WiFi even though the signal strength delta may be -20 or -30dB.

Personally, I would prefer they use the strongest signal, but there is some additional logic that maybe looks for what may provide the best throughout.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.6K Messages

4分前

If you use a wireless router, you would have to set it up as an access point. I’ve done this off and on with asus routers. Never noticed any connection issues. 2 story home, 2500 square feet with a router upstairs and the gateway on the main floor. Connected via cat6 cables. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.