Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
FiberGuy2000's profile

8 Messages

Friday, January 26th, 2024 2:18 PM

Is there any benefit to running fiber directly into the gateway vs fiber to ONT then ethernet to gateway?

I'm getting ready to switch from cable to fiber and can easily have fiber come in to an ONT then Cat5e in the walls to where I need the gateway to sit.

Alternatively, I could do a long run of fiber through walls & ceilings to the same spot and plug fiber directly into the gateway (assuming it's the newer 320) but it would be a lot of work and I don't know if there'd be any benefit.

So is it worth it or is the existing Cat5e just fine? This would be for gigabit.

Thanks!

8 Messages

4 months ago

I might run fiber myself just to avoid any future issues. I'm not going to have fiber installed until the winter freeze is over anyway.

Would this be a suitable option? The reviews all say it's working for AT&T:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TS11T5Q?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

4 months ago

Given the amount of fussing going on in general with service, I’d think hard about letting Att own the job and the responsibilities of the installation.  Completely.  Also take heed of the wifi warning above.  

8 Messages

4 months ago

I was able to buy an 80ft SC/APC to SC/APC fiber cable and get it fished through the ceiling. I'll let the tech do the standard install with a fiber jumper across the floor but then switch to my in-wall fiber cable and keep theirs handy if there's ever an issue and I need to rule out my fiber cable.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 months ago

Let the tech use your fiber. Then you will know it works. If it doesn’t work, the tech can use your fiber to pull the Att fiber. Did you pull the fiber through conduit or just fish it through the wall?

8 Messages

4 months ago

No conduit. Just a void above the drywalled ceiling & behind basement wall studs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.