Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
FiberGuy2000's profile

8 Messages

Friday, January 26th, 2024 2:18 PM

Is there any benefit to running fiber directly into the gateway vs fiber to ONT then ethernet to gateway?

I'm getting ready to switch from cable to fiber and can easily have fiber come in to an ONT then Cat5e in the walls to where I need the gateway to sit.

Alternatively, I could do a long run of fiber through walls & ceilings to the same spot and plug fiber directly into the gateway (assuming it's the newer 320) but it would be a lot of work and I don't know if there'd be any benefit.

So is it worth it or is the existing Cat5e just fine? This would be for gigabit.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 months ago

See the solution with chart in this topic. I'm sure you'll get differing opinions. 

(edited)

8 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks but that's an entirely different topic. That's about wiring AFTER the gateway. I'm asking about fiber directly into the gateway vs fiber into the house to an external ONT and then ethernet to the gateway.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

3 months ago

If 5e is capable of carrying gig up to 5g as the chart shows, it doesn't matter where it is in the network. The only restrictions would be length of run. Unless I'm totally missing your point. 

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 months ago

Is the best fiber speed available to order 1000 or 5000?

Best is 1000 would be GPON, could have a 010 (white) ONT installed inside home near a cat5e point that runs to the desired location for a BGW-210 gateway to reside.

If best speed is 5000 would be XGSPON and require a 020 (black) ONT to be installed with the BGW-210 gateway.

Both are considered rare, if the tech would even have a 020, the standard fiber installation (95+%) is using the BGW-320 which has an internal ONT connected with the correct SFP. Therefore need fiber to where the gateway will reside.

With the expectation of adding 1 million active fiber locations each year this is 3225 installs every day Monday to Saturday. I would expect at least 3100 are the BGW-320.

8 Messages

3 months ago

I was thinking besides speed itself, would a dedicated fiber run gain me anything like features or increase the likelihood of getting a newer BGW320 with the better Wi-Fi over an older box. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 months ago

Direct fiber into the Gateway will require the BGW320, which is an 802.11ax capable gateway.  It will make it possible for you to have a no-truck-roll upgrade to 2 Gbps or 5 Gbps service (assuming that your home is connected to an XGS-PON splitter) or order 2 or 5 Gbps to begin with.  It does mean that the Gateway has to be close to where the fiber terminates so that a fiber jumper can be run from the wall to the Gateway. 

Fiber into an ONT then Ethernet to the Gateway, means either a BGW320 or a BGW210 (which is 802.11ac).  It also means that while the ONT has to be near where the fiber terminates, the Gateway can be anywhere in the home that you can reach via Ethernet from the ONT (meaning you can use in-the-wall twisted pair).  However, AT&T will not enable the 10 Gbps on the 020 ONT (the XGS-PON capable one), so that if you take this route, you are limited to 1 Gbps (actually 940 Mbps) max, XGS-PON or GPON). 

The Wi-Fi shouldn't be a consideration, because if you care about Wi-Fi, you should turn the Wi-Fi off on either of these two gateways and get your own third-party Wi-Fi solution. 

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 months ago

My question of best speed available has to deal with the type of service GPON or XGSPON to determine if external ONT install in the home would be desirable.

Since start of 2023 the BGW-320 is the expected installations unless the tech is out of stock or a different solution is needed.

Do you have a wiring cabinet or central wiring point? If yes and wish to use hardwired connections to other rooms, that is where the gateway should be placed.

If this is not the ideal Wi-Fi location then consider buying a mesh system for Wi-Fi.

In my opinion the Wi-Fi on the 320 is not significantly any better than that of the 210. Yes the 320 supports Wi-Fi 6 (ax) but will never make a list of the top 10 Wi-Fi 6 devices for 2024. 

example…

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/best-mesh-wifi-routers/

8 Messages

3 months ago

To get fiber to where I need the gateway to be, I'd need to buy an 80ft spool and run it myself which is possible but I didn't want to go through the effort if it wasn't going to gain me anything.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 months ago

If wishing to pre install the interior fiber… just buy a 100 feet SC/APC to SC/APC… to run from the outside fiber NID to the desired gateway location.

What you gain is having the fiber gateway location where you desire

8 Messages

3 months ago

So the installers don't care if it's not their fiber? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.