Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
T

• 

1 Message

Mon, Jul 13, 2020 9:26 AM

Internet Fiber Install

I just hit my limit with Comcast, and signed up for AT&T Fiber internet at 100 Mbps for Tuesday install.

The techy in me is wondering what to expect - is it actually fiber into the house, or will it be copper from the post in our back yard to the house? Once the install is done, if I want to up speed, is that just a matter for the sales department, or will the installer have to come back?

Can the modem/router/gateway be put in just pass through mode? I have a business-grade router and switch with multiple VLANs and wireless access points. Our house isn't that big, but it's an old ranch and the signal doesn't penetrate all the walls that well. https://9apps.ooo/

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

25 days ago

The Gateway can be put in IP Passthrough/DMZplus mode, which means it passes the external IP through to your router when it makes a DHCP request, and forwards it all unsolicited traffic.  It's not exactly bridge mode, but it comes pretty close.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

25 days ago

If your upload and download is 100 it is fiber. If not, copper to the home. what was the max speed you could order? Att only allows the max speed to be ordered. So you are probably maxed at 100. If you are on fiber and wanted to go to 1000, it would not require a tech.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.7K Messages

24 days ago

Can you order internet 1000?

If not, with 100 as best offered this is FIBER TO THE NODE (FTTN) VDSL.

This service  was deployed during the 2006 to 2015 Uverse expansion.

Based upon copper loop length after the fiber fed VRAD determines service available. Bonded pair K or N card less than 1000 feet copper can receive 100/20 internet. While FTTP (Fiber To The Premise) with installation of ONT would be 100/100, 300/300 or 1000/1000 less overhead.

For completeness as copper loop increases on FTTN and facilities change (single pair or bonded pair, card type of F, K or N) the speed tiers are 100/20, 75/20, 75/8, 50/10, 45/6, 25/5, 25/2, 24/3, 18/1.5

If tech installs an ONT (has PON and ALARM lights) have direct fiber FTTP, no ONT install is indirect fiber FTTN.

EDIT... my estimate is 28+ million addresses can order FTTN while 14+ million addresses have FTTP deployed from 2016 to late 2019. Result is 2:1 chance have fiber using  FTTN.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Get started...

Ask a new question