Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Sep 11, 2017 8:40 PM

"Internet 1000" fiber optic service - subterranean wires?

Fiber optic just came to our neighborhood. 

How do they connect the fiber optic cable to the house?  Currently the fiber optic lines run along the back fence through all the neighbors properties - but I wanted to understand how it connects from there to the house? 

Currently we have underground wiring of all electrical in our back yard (expensive) so that wires go from the house under the yard and to the control panel on the back of the garage. There is nothing dangling across the yard in the air. 

I therefore don't want wires hanging across the yard.  Will the AT & T installer use the same access through the metal pipes and go underground?

Responses

Employee

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

If there is a clear path for the technician to run the line from the terminal he will lay it on the ground and it will be buried by contractors within 10 business days. It is direct buried though and not run in any conduit.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

3 years ago

The standard install is based on how your neighborhood is wired not how your house is wired....

If the fiber is on poles, aerial throughout neighborhood, then the drop wire is aerial.

You may request a buried drop, but you will be charged as a special request (expensive was your comment).

If the fiber is underground (buried not aerial) then the feed to the home is buried with temp drop laid on ground and a contractor burying the fiber at a future date.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
tiger3110

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

@my thoughts What is the cost associated with a drop wire on ground to be buried? Aeriel wires from poles throughout the neighborhood I live in looks horrendous and dangerous. Many homes have the wire hanging on a fence, hanging through tree branches, dropping from the air to about 3 feet above the ground, etc. All very dangerous and asking for a issues.

(edited)

my thoughts

Employee

• 

14K Messages

@tiger3110 cost would be estimate only as ATT hires a local contractor to bury, they charge ATT who then charges you.

A general figure I use is about $10 per foot, 100 feet of buried drop $1000.

Boring under sidewalk(s), patio, driveway, etc can add to the cost.

Markets may vary, example California may be more than Alabama.

I suspect the contractors have a minimum charge to cover expense.

As a Uverse Premise tech, I create the order.... have nothing to do with billing.

For most, I would expect $800 to $1500 should cover standard lot sizes in our Milwaukee area.

tiger3110

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Thank you for the response! So if there's a clear path from the pole to the house, can they lay it on the ground instead of stringing it from pole just like they did when I had Uverse installed? There's no area for them to aerial hang it because of trees/landscaping that would interfere and become a bigger issue/hazard if hung aerially. FYI - I live in Indianapolis. I know my neighbors are calling to complain to AT&T about their fiber install because the wires are dangerously hanging through their backyards and through tree branches instead of being laid across the ground as they had originally with Uverse.