Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
F

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Aug 31, 2021 7:15 AM

Internet 1000 fiber installation delayed indefinitely in Chicago

No one at at&t support is able to give me an estimate on how long it is going to take for fiber to be installed in my apartment. I was told it is an "external agency" technical problem. What does that mean?

Original installation was planned for last week, I got a call in the morning that there's a problem & that installation won't happen that day. Since then no one has reached out to me and the new installation date in the system says Dec 31, 2036. Is this some kind of a joke I paid for? I live in a high-rise and several other folks have fiber already, then why is my installation delayed indefinitely?

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

3 m ago

No idea concerning your delayed installation. The Dec 31, 2036 is a placeholder used by the scheduling system when an appointment needs to be rescheduled; it'll eventually resolve into a valid install date or a cancellation.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.6K Messages

3 m ago

No one at at&t support is able to give me an estimate on how long it is going to take for fiber to be installed in my apartment. I was told it is an "external agency" technical problem. What does that mean?

AT&T is not responsible for the fiber drop to your Apartment in most cases. Your building owner / management company owns that infrastructure from the telco room to your individual apartment.  They need their contractor to run the required fiber before the AT&T install can actually be scheduled.

Do you have a network panel in your apartment? 

It would normally be located in a closet. The other option is to run what is called "invisible" fiber from a termination outside your apartment door along the ceiling and then down a wall to where the AT&T Gateway is to be installed.

Take a look around your apt and it would help if you post a pic of any network panel or other unique things you think may be Fiber related.

Note: As @davemize indicated above the order system set the 2036 date as a placeholder until the "other" work is completed then and only then will your order receive a valid date for your install.

Dave

• 

3 Messages

3 m ago

Same issues here, they delayed my installation twice , seems like their system is down and people are not talking to each other, call

8005315000 and ask for technical support to get an installation date, make sure to ask them to see if the installation people have the information. 

And it would also be good to call twice to make sure you talk to more than 1 person to see if everyone is on the same page. 

ATT customer service is truly horrible, if I couldn't get it installed on the 3rd attempt, I will just find another provider. 

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4K Messages

3 m ago

Never knew of that phone number. Called it and it’s direct TV. 

• 

3 Messages

3 m ago

Thank you everyone for your responses! So the funniest thing happened. My installation 2nd attempt was scheduled for today Sep 1 at 9:00am. No one called or reached out. I went to chat-support and they said an error in the system didn't let me installation request go through. So it was set up again (3rd time) tomorrow Sep 2 at 9:00am. After a couple hours, I was just chilling in the building cafe and I spotted an at&t engineer walking by. I asked him if he's here for my installation and he was really kind to check. He was actually there to install 2 other fiber connections (none of which were mine) which he successfully did earlier in the day. He also wasn't aware of my installation or any problems in with the external agency etc. He said the only issue can be that there are not enough ports in the building which is not the case because ours is a new building and every apartment already has dedicated fiber cables, all that is needed is the equipment. The problem with my installation was some bug in their scheduling software which caused some error which meant engineers were not aware of my installations. He was very nice to call up and email his manager and perform the installation for me in the afternoon. If we hadn't talked then I would have probably waited for several weeks before someone realized what is going on and I got my connection.

I am a happy 1Gbps customer now :D 

TLDR;

Delay in installation was due to their scheduling software bug/errors. Despite repeated scheduling, the installation engineers were not notified about my new connection.

• 

3 Messages

3 m ago

Yes, Just need to insist on asking for technical support ! I was upset when I heard it too.. and what is nightmarish about it is that when I get to the technical support, that person refuse to give me the phone number that can get to technical support... 

• 

3 Messages

3 m ago

@fiber_champion  would you happen to have that guys's contact information? Lucky you, I talked to those people and they says that I have to wait till sept 8th.. and I have no idea what to do at the mean time... 

• 

3 Messages

3 m ago

@anotherfish1234567  Unfortunately no. But he told me that usually a large building or a cluster of buildings have an at&t rep you can get in touch with who knows everything there is to know about new & existing connections. I'll suggest reach out to your building manager and ask who their point of contact (at&t rep) is. S/he should be able to get you sorted

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.