Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ClaireE's profile

• 

1 Message

Monday, March 28th, 2022 10:28 PM

If we bring in fiber from the street, and there are ~ 6-8 coax cables sticking out the side of our house, can we hook up all + WiFi?

I have a service call to bring in fiber from the street and hook it up to 6-8 coax cables that are sticking out the side of our garage wall (new construction).  Those coax cables each go to a different room and all those rooms need their coax outlet to be functional, so can one fiber modem handle that?  Then I need one of those coax cables that goes to a certain room to have a WiFi router/access pt hooked up to it so we can get WiFi in places in the house that don't have a direct coax coming out of the wall.   When the AT&T service guy(s) come, does that sound like it can be done?  Where can I put in some details in the work order so they know that's the details of the install they are coming to do?

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

2 years ago

ATT does not use coax connection, need Ethernet wiring of at least cat5e or better.

If all you have is coax in new construction the home was wired for cable company not ATT service.

edit… if desire wiring to the rooms with coax will need to hire a company that does low voltage wiring.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

It is possible to bridge Ethernet over Coax using protocols such as HPNA or MoCA, but AT&T doesn't provide that, it would be up to you to do or hire on your own.  A modern house should have Cat5e or better twisted pair cabling in addition to coax to each room.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.