Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
blockstrecker's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 17th, 2017 10:56 PM

Closed

How does fiber installation take place in a house?

I just moved into a rented house and found out that AT&T fiber is available - but not yet installed in this house.

What are the installation requirements inside the house? I can see coax-cables coming through the wall from outside the house to the inside (in the basement). 110v power outlets are available inside the house as well close to this hole.

But - how is the AT&T technician doing the cabling inside the house? I can only see COAX cable in the living area.

I couldn't find any description on what the technician will do "for free" during the standard installation. Did I overlook something? 

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

540 Messages

7 years ago

Every install is different. It depends on the house and what cables are where (if any).

Usually fiber is ran right into the house by the desired modem location. A slack NID box is mounted outside and an ONT is mounted on a wall inside. The modem gets a cat5/6 feed from the ONT.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for your helpful answers.

I am just concerned how the wiring between the basement and my first floor will take place. First floor is where the nice furniture is and where the current router/wlan us positioned (netgear orbit). I don't see a "empty wall outlet" or similar. How do you do cabling in the US in the house across the different levels?

Associated Member

• 

68 Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

The word Fiber is tricky because all AT&T internet services (except DSL and analog phone) are fiber-based connections, one way or another. Please call AT&T and have them verify the transport type assigned to you. If your service's transport type is FTTN (fiber to the node) or FTTN-BP (bonded pair), you're good to go. These types can work with coaxial inside wiring.

If your transport type is FTTP or IPDSL, here's what you need to know:

IPDSL = This is basically upgraded DSL service. Fiber terminates from the AT&T central office, and everything else is copper, up to your house and to your modem. Hence, copper cabling (regular phone cables, RJ11) is required.

FTTP = Fiber runs from the AT&T central office up to your NID (gray box on the side of your house). It will be replaced with an ONT (optical network terminal) which converts fiber (light) signals to something (electrical) that flows to copper wires. Ethernet cable (data cable, RJ45) is used from the ONT to your AT&T modem. 

The standard install fee is $99 but this does not include additional wiring work needed to install Ethernet cabling.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks Lawrence. Is there any way to know when fiber is being rolled out in my neighborhood? Does AT&T have a blog or a map of where they are currently expanding their fiber service? I've heard rumors that fiber rollouts are slowing down. I hope that fiber comes to my home within a year, otherwise I'm going to look at WOW and Spectrum.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I saw the install of the thick orange cables 2 blocks from my house. I asked the guy and he said fiber would be available all through my neighborhood and pointed to my house. Do they have to run the orange cables down every street or are those just trunk cables with smaller cables coming down my street?

Employee

• 

540 Messages

6 years ago

@Markb2222 Those aren't cables. The orange tubes are conduits, that premise technicians use to push individual fiber lines thru to route towards the customers house. The main fiber line is buried deeper and is a black cable.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

What is an NID box? Picture?

I own a triplex. Can one NID box serve more than one unit?
What is an ONT box? Picture?

What kind of cable goes from the NID box outside to the ONT box inside? Is it coaxial cable like what cable tv uses?

If I upgrade to fiber will that replace my current DSL VOIP service?

Thanks

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

6 years ago

NID = network interface device - where DSL terminates and converts to ethernet at a box outside your house.
optical network terminal - where fiber terminates and converts to ethernet at a box outside your house.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. Most helpful. 

Is the fiber home run cable to ONT similar in size to Cat5? Or is it Cat5?

i ask because my installation will have to go up into my attic and to the location of current DSL router. 

I already have many boxes on the side of my house and I want to get rid of unnecessary ones. Currently I have SIX wires coming from the pole to my house for three apartments. For instance, there’s a wire from the pole to an NID for current DSL/VOIP. Can this wire be removed and replaced by the fiber optic cable to this Existing NID? I presume that the current Cat5 cable can’t be used as the home run to the new ONT? A different kind of cable has to be run for fiber home run?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. Most helpful. 

Is the fiber home run cable to ONT similar in size to Cat5? Or is it Cat5?

i ask because my installation will have to go up into my attic and to the location of current DSL router. 

I already have many boxes on the side of my house and I want to get rid of unnecessary ones. Currently I have SIX wires coming from the pole to my house for three apartments. For instance, there’s a wire from the pole to an NID for current DSL/VOIP. Can this wire be removed and replaced by the fiber optic cable to this Existing NID? I presume that the current Cat5 cable can’t be used as the home run to the new ONT? A different kind of cable has to be run for fiber home run?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.