Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
tayshea's profile

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Aug 11, 2022 3:59 AM

Help with AT&T fiber gateway installation

Hi! I recently moved into an apartment complex and when I went to set up my internet, AT&T showed I was eligible for fiber as well as for self install. I received the gateway, along with a red ONT cable, yellow ethernet cable, and power supplies for both the service box and gateway. I found the service box inside a panel in the wall of the master bedroom closet, which looked to already be activated and connected to the wall. I apologize in advance for my lack of electrical/internet knowledge, but do I have to connect the gateway directly to the box, and therefore have the gateway sitting in the closet of that room? and in that case how would I close the service panel back up? There are wall jacks in most of the rooms, but I do not know what they are for or how to use them. Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated, I’m trying to avoid having someone come out here as I am a broke college student. 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.4K Messages

2 m مضت

Can you post a picture of the "service box"?  Is the ONT inside this box or what?

The gateway doesn't have to be anywhere near the ONT, but of course you do have to get the Ethernet signal to wherever the gateway is. 

Are there any Ethernet jacks in that closet near the ONT?  Or even better, any sort of patch panel to connect Ethernet from there to the wall jacks?  Are the wall jacks actually RJ45 Ethernet jacks?

• 

6 Messages

2 m مضت

Ok so sorry if I’m calling things by the wrong names but I’ve attached a picture of the ATT ONT or service box and then the panel it is inside. Do I plug the red cable into the ONT box or into my gateway? I see a connection that says Cat5e that had a yellow cable from the service box attached to it. Does that connect to the jacks in my wall? I’m very confused by all this and just need internet for class

• 

6 Messages

2 m مضت

here are the photos

• 

6 Messages

2 m مضت

I have now plugged the gateway directly into the service box and given up on using the wall jacks, but the broadband light is still showing up red?? What do I do??

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.4K Messages

2 m مضت

Oh, no apology necessary!  I've never actually seen an apartment install so I didn't know what a service box looks like.  After you posted the other day someone else in an apt posted about their service box, so I guess that's a common term.

So I don't see the gateway, which is probably either a Pace 5268ac or an Arris BGW210.  The port on the ONT that says Internet needs to connect to the gateway's red ONT port with an Ethernet cable.  Once that's done, the Data light on the ONT will start to flicker as yellow-green-ish.

Is the service box where you want to put the gateway?  If so, you're good to go when you hook up that cable.

If you want it in a different room,  maybe that white Ethernet cable at the bottom left of the photo goes to a wall jack someplace in the apt.  You could connect an Ethernet cable from the ONT to that jack on the end of the white cable, then find the wall port that cable goes to and run an Ethernet from there to the gateway's red port. That might take a bit of sleuthing since I'll bet there's no markings on anything to indicate what goes where.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.4K Messages

2 m مضت

How odd, when I made my last post yours had not appeared so I didn't see it.

Have you powered the ONT off, then powered it back on?

If that Hail Mary doesn't work then I'm afraid you're going to have to go into the nightmare world known as 800-288-2020.  You'll want to tell them you have a "failed self-install" which will require a truck roll.  That should be no charge although some phone "support" people will still warn you there could be a $99 charge.

• 

6 Messages

2 m مضت

If I plug an ethernet cable from the ONT box to that white ethernet cable, hypothetically if I figured out where it goes to, which cable would I plug into the wall jack? I would I use the yellow ethernet and plug it into the ethernet spot on the gateway? Or do I use the red ONT cable and put it in the ONT spot?

• 

6 Messages

2 m مضت

If I absolutely must have someone come out I will, I just start class tomorrow and wanted to have the internet taken care of by then

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

7.4K Messages

2 m مضت

You'd just need another Ethernet cable (color doesn't matter, they just give you colors to make it easier to explain) from the wall jack to the red port on the gateway.

Since you've plugged the gateway into the ONT while you were at the service box, then the problem won't be solved by you.  So using the cables in the wall won't matter.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.