Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ohwellfiona's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 22nd, 2022 10:24 PM

HELP: Is AT&T calling customers to give free fiber routers or Is this a scam?

Someone called my phone today to say that AT&T would like to replace my router for free, and upgrade me to fiber (something about 300 speed?). They asked me to make an appointment. I said I dont have time right now and asked for a number to call back. Soon after, I got a text about my appointment date that I did not make. 

I did not recognize the phone number (it is a local number, not a toll free). I called back to say to cancel the appointment, but got no answer.

Is this a scam? Is AT&T replacing routers for customers for free or is this a scam? The only thing I can think of, is if this is a third party that AT&T legitimately hired, AT&T might charge me for the appointment that I didn't even make and now can't seem to cancel. 

The text came from '74431' which some people say is legitimately AT&T, but I know these things can be duped.

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

4 months ago

As stated battery back up (BBU) were offered free of charge prior to 2015 but the customer was responsible for buying and replacing the battery as well as properly disposing of the old battery.

SINCE 2015, ATT Terms Of Service was changed to exclude such coverage thus for the past nine years customers are responsible for the purchase and installation of any electrical power backup system either as battery or UPS.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

4 months ago

A BBU or UPS is somewhat of an essential piece of gear for home network equipment IMHO.  Common enough to find in office supply stores or Best Buy if you like to support local businesses.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.