Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
ohwellfiona's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 22nd, 2022 10:24 PM

HELP: Is AT&T calling customers to give free fiber routers or Is this a scam?

Someone called my phone today to say that AT&T would like to replace my router for free, and upgrade me to fiber (something about 300 speed?). They asked me to make an appointment. I said I dont have time right now and asked for a number to call back. Soon after, I got a text about my appointment date that I did not make. 

I did not recognize the phone number (it is a local number, not a toll free). I called back to say to cancel the appointment, but got no answer.

Is this a scam? Is AT&T replacing routers for customers for free or is this a scam? The only thing I can think of, is if this is a third party that AT&T legitimately hired, AT&T might charge me for the appointment that I didn't even make and now can't seem to cancel. 

The text came from '74431' which some people say is legitimately AT&T, but I know these things can be duped.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

4 months ago

... unless the digital phone service INCLUDES internet service...

It does not.  As your linked page says:

delivered over an AT&T internet connection,

You have to also have Internet.  There's a combo deal on that page for $24.99 + $55/mo. (for 12 months), so I'd expect that's what the nice sales lady was quoting; except "Pricing for Internet plans 768K-100M."  However, 300 Mbps Fiber is listed at $55 (after discounts), so that's still good.  Taxes/Fees could be tacked on to that, so hold on to you wallet.

But I will say the Customer [dis]Service Summary that is e-mailed out is nearly always wrong, alarming, and causes more trouble than its worth.  Maybe it's a tool to get the customer to call back for an upsell?  I never have understood why they don't fix it or scrap it.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

4 months ago

There's a combo deal on that page for $24.99 + $55/mo. (for 12 months), so I'd expect that's what the nice sales lady was quoting

I mis-spoke.  I should have said the price quoted included the price for internet service.  $25 for phone & $55 for internet.   TBH…I’ve had internet & digital phone (VOIP) for so long it’s just one price in my head!

Sadly, many seniors have no use for internet but will be forced to pay for internet since it’s required for digital phone service.  🤷‍♀️

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

4 months ago

With the costs of POTS being continuously jacked up, it's soon going to be the same cost either way.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

4 months ago

Philz, sorry your mother was scammed. You should do what you can to have her landline installed again, as my 2 parents are nearly 100 each in age. I have told them under no circumstance to stop their landline service because the landline is the only service that works during power outages and as very elderly persons they are unable to grasp the concept of using cell phones, period. My father no longer has a cell phone because he cannot use it, and my mother has one a sister pays for her to use, but she fails to know how to use it during emergencies, that is what can happen when you are almost 100 and not tech savvy, none uses computers etc. So their landline they have kept for over 60 years, even though it gets pricey. Your elderly mother needs to have a landline, she won't be able to understand or get how to use a separate cell phone, and that separate cell phone will cost extra. In addition, she was railroaded by sales person to believe she was getting a lesser priced shameful service to sell to someone her age, and now is looking at not only a dangerous useless service during emergencies for someone her age, but that this service is going to rise $10 a month! Sounds like she never had the ACP program or Att's discount program for low income, so she is charged regular full price.

If this happened to my elderly parents, I would have them install a landline again, that it is medically necessary for a person that age, and once installed, cancel the useless fiber service that will completely leave her without any phone during power outages. If your mom is like my elder parents, she will not know how to use any cell phone given to her. In addition, can she afford such a bill, and that it keeps climbing up? This is what I call predatory sales tactics, and unethical. My elder parents live with me, and when my internet was upgraded to fiber, nothing, not one thing at all, nada, was said about my parents landline not going to work, and needing to be changed to fiber, total baloney your mother got fed. Hope you can sort this out.

When the power goes out where I am my voip telephone does not work, period, for all the time the power is out. Only my cell phone works, but my elderly parents simply don't know who to answer theirs or how to call out to 911. It should be illegal for a sales rep to convince a very elder person to give up 911 that they have in place. I seriously hope you can get this righted for your mom. Bring in the FCC if you need to and explain how she was talked out of her needed landline, and given a dangerous fiber that will leave her high and dry during any power outage, that she is too old to make use of cell phone during a blackout, that will cut through the sales baloney.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

4 months ago

You should do what you can to have her landline installed again,

Unfortunately, that may not be an option.

4 Messages

4 months ago

Thank you for your input!  I plan to keep the fiber phone because of the wifi and the nightmare of time it would cost to reverse my course.  I plan to have a couple ring cameras/doorbell installed so I can help monitor solicitors.  If prices skyrocket in year or two, I will cancel and do a battery back up cellular hotspot and figure out a way to link it to her normal phones.  (that technology has to be out there somewhere)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

4 months ago

If prices skyrocket in year or two, I will cancel and do a battery back up cellular hotspot and figure out a way to link it to her normal phones.  (that technology has to be out there somewhere)

Some options here:

1) Use a VOIP adapter (known as an ATA) from a company like Ooma and attach it to the Hotspot (you could do this with your AT&T Internet and save half the cost (or more) of AT&T's charges for VOIP).

2) Ooma also has a package where they provide you with a USB stick LTE adapter for the T-mobile network and a small battery backup; this costs an extra $12/month for the Wireless service (which is cheaper than the hotspot and allows up to a measly 1 GB of non-VOIP data per month without charge; that 1 GB/month may not be enough for you and going over 1 GB is quite expensive). 

3) There are devices that allow you to park a cell phone in a cradle and you can hook your home phones to this so that a cell phone provides your home phone service.  You'd probably need to provide a separate UPS for that cradle to survive a power failure.  This wouldn't give you the data/camera/monitoring solution, though.  But... the cell phone may still be able to act as a hot spot while sitting in the cradle.

(edited)

4 Messages

4 months ago

Update:  I never got the technicians phone number.  My salesperson texted me they don't have the technicians number.  I asked about a possible battey back up system and was given an 800 number to call.  

At&t does offer battery back ups for their voice over Ip (fiber).  First I've heard of this.

I called the 1800 number and they told me it would be quite rare if At&t didn't include and 8 hour battery backup during installation.   I guess we are the quite rare case they leave with no 911 access during an power outage.

Since the installation is over, there is nothing the 800 number people can do for us except try to sell us a 24 hour back up battery for $450.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

4 months ago

AT&T hasn't provided battery backup for their consumer VOIP offerings in over 7 years.  Even when the Gateway's had a slot for an internal battery, they quit providing them.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

4 months ago

Can you buy a BBU for your fiber gateway?  Absolutely.

Does ATT provide a BBU for your fiber gateway?  They do not.

To confirm what @JefferMC said….I’ve had VOIP since it was introduced…over 10 years.   Originally, we were provided with a large brick BBU which provided 4 hours of power for VOIP.  The next gateway had a slot for an internal battery that you had to buy ($45).   The newest gateway has no BBU and ATT does not provide one, VOIP or not.  🤷‍♀️

If power is a big concern, you’ll have to buy your own BBU or whole house generator.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.