Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Exile714's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Monday, September 28th, 2015 9:35 PM

Gigapower San Antonio

Hey, quick question:

Now that San Antonio is wired for Gigapower, is there any chance I can finally get internet?

You see, my house is passed over by fiber which runs over telephone poles. That fiber runs into a nearby neighborhood which qualified for Gigapower. I know that Gigapower changes the distribution system where it used to have to go to a distribution box, but now the fiber can be split from the telephone pole directly to the customer's house (Don't tell me that's not how it works with regular Uverse, I know that. Gigapower is different, and I have sources to prove that.)

Anyway, the fiber has connection points near my house (those tennis racket things). There is absolutely no reason why ATT can't give me internet service now. So, when can you hook me up?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

This gigapower rollout in San Antonio seems shady to me. What's the neighborhood that you mentioned that qualifies for Gigapower? I have regular Uverse, but apparently cannot get gigapower. I've been typing dozens addresses into ATT's availability finder, and have yet to come up with an address that qualifies for gigapower in San Antonio.

I'd love to know exactly how many homes in San Antonio have the service available to them right now. 

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

Since nobody lives there, why not just post the address? *** San Antonio, 78255.

It's the Deer Canyon subdivision. Every one of their addresses qualifies for Gigapower. Only two homes of the approximately 180 have been built, and nobody lives in those (the deer canyon address is an empty lot, there isn't even a house there, just a neighborhood connection terminal with almost 300 open slots for fiber connections).

I can't tell if ATT is really shady, or just grossly incompetent. I get angry thinking ATT just doesn't want to hook my neighborhood of 22 homes up to that neighborhood terminal (we're all closer to the box than 3/4ths of the new homes) because they didn't want to pay for burying the fiber. But, it's entirely possibly ATT hasn't even considered the cost of hooking us up. The Engineering Department never comes out to see our neighborhood, they just look at a database and say "nope, can't do it." I know they don't come out because I work from home (on cellular Internet... Like a chump), and I can see the road pretty much all the time.

I wish they would just let me buy a fiber cable and hook it up myself. How hard could it possibly be? Every month they don't hook me up is another month I don't pay them. I have to think a smaller company wouldn't be so callous as to let potential paying customers who are begging to pay them go without service.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I guess I'm in a better position than you. I have Uverse, but not fiber to my house. 

My issue is that AT&T had the gall to hold a press conference last week bragging about how San Antonio was getting GigaPower Internet starting 09/28/2015. I wouldn't be surprised if less than 1% of the homes in this have access to it as of right now. That's hardly worth holding a press conference over. Conservatively, I was expecting 20% to 30% of the city to be ready to go on Monday.

I didn't even realize how poor the coverage for even regular Uverse is in San Antonio, until I started typing random addresses into AT&T's availibility finder looking for homes that have GigaPower available, and found that many of the addresses I typed don't even have access to regular Uverse.

This is all nothing more than AT&T trying to get the jump on Google, before Google begins its work.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

Across ATT's footprint, it's estimated that 25% of homes don't get service. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to see ATT's data, and they don't share that because "other companies might use it against them."

The problem is, ATT doesn't seem to worry about installing in areas served by other providers. They're targeting Gigapower in the places most likely to get Google Fiber first. No, ATT doesn't want that info getting out because their coverage is abysmal. To them, UVerse isn't a utility, it's a game where they only choose the cheapest places to install.

But they do take money from the government to expand to places where people don't get service. They claimed 100% coverage a few years ago to the FCC and again when they wanted to merge with DirecTV. Only there's no way to prove that because they keep their coverage data secret.

ATT acts like a bad monopoly, and they spend millions on lobbying to keep the government from interfering. The sad thing is, ATT is the only company with infrastructure nearby, so if they ever do decide to install in my neighborhood, I'll probably still subscribe, even though I am getting ulcers from hating them so badly.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.