Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
green2's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Nov 1, 2015 3:57 AM

Gigapower not even getting 100Mbps

So I signed up for the 300Mbps option and it's been several days and I've tested the speed and so far only got on average 50Mbps on wireless, if I'm lucky I get 70Mbps on several different devices on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz on 802.11n. I tried a wired connection (10/100/1000 Gigabit) and I got 90 or so. At one point I did see my connection go as high as 230 but this was just for one day and I noticed the weather was good (though I'm pretty sure weather was not supposed to be a factor on a fibre connection).

I've had the technician who installed it, come over to take a look but he just kept telling me my laptop was old (sure it's old but I'm sure it can meet the 300Mbps requirement. He suggested i get on the 5ghz which I did and it slightly improved my speed to 80Mbps but he didn't test my wired connection claiming that my system is old. I brought out my newer laptop which don't have the wired so I couldn't test there either. But really I know wired can meet the speeds and frankly wireless N should too if properly bonded...

Anyway I know AT&T initially started selling 100Mbps only in Chicago, but I signed up only after they upped it to 300Mbps. Now I'm severely disappointed since the speeds are nowhere near where I expect them to be and quite frankly I don't want to have another tech out if all I'm going to be told is my equipment is old, when I know it meets the specs for the 300Mbps speed that I bought. I wouldn't have paid extra otherwise. Any other suggestions? I don't want to waste more time on this. I like the TV that's bundled (where one of the wireless receivers is giving me lost signal issues - don't get me started on that), but I really am distressed about the internet not even doing half the speed of what I'm paying for. Any suggestions or is this pretty normal during the first week of install? I feel like i've wasted a lot of time on this. 

How do I know if AT&T is really giving me 300Mbps and it's my side that's not able to handle it as the tech says? As long as I have proof I'm getting what I paid for, even if I don't actually see it I'd be  a lot more satisfied. Thanks.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

25.6K Messages

6 y ago

802.11n needs a lot to actually get the 300 Mbps speeds advertised by some vendors.  Odds are that your PC's 802.11n network hardware doesn't have the MIMO gear to get it. 

AT&T doesn't promise any wireless speed.  They're selling you a speed to your Gateway, which should be available via wire.  Wireless is subject to too many variables (interference, client specs, distance, etc.) to make any promises.  The fact that 5.0 was better than 2.4 indicates some interference issues in 2.4.  But 5.0 is more sensitive to distance and stuff in the line of sight.

Eliminate the issue of your PC's speed by moving files around your network and timing the transfer.  Don't forget to covert from MBps to Mbps by mutiplying by the number of bits in a byte (8). 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.