The phone that makes your everyday epic. Buy the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G now!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
RonInTexas's profile
RonInTexas
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Tue, Jun 14, 2016 2:25 PM

GigaPower Install - Shaky Wi-Fi in home.

I have a brand new home - it was wired with cat-5e cable for most rooms - however, the living room doesn't have a drop.  I have an XBOX 360 and Samsung Home Theater System that accesses wi-fi signals from my AT&T router.  The receiver in the living room is also a wireless STB.

Several times a day, especially in the afternoon, I get quite a few signal drops that result in lost connections to MLB.TV and Netflix on the XBOX 360 and Samsung Home Theater System.  The wireless STB also loses the signal.  Usually within 2-3 minutes, the STB reconnects and resumes TV playback.  The XBOX 360 requires reconnecting to XBOX Live and MLB.TV/Netflix service (sometimes requires a reboot).

I have even tried setting up a second access point - it is an older ASUS RT-54N router and it doesn't handle streaming HD signals very well (buffering issues, but I don't lose connection).  I have also tried a Netgear PowerLine (AV1200) adapter, but have similar issues.  Also, the AT&T STBs don't like the Netgear Powerline adapter, as they lose signals more often.

I don't want to throw a large amount of money towards this problem....It seems like the solution is to have two cat 5e cables run from the AT&T router to the living room (one for the STB and one to a switch for the XBOX & Samsung devices).

Is this a common problem with wi-fi signals in a home?  The Router is on the same floor as all devices (it is a one story house) and the physical location of the devices is less than 25 feet from the router.  Is there a better way to locate the router (i.e. higher from the floor) and/or the wireless access point for the STB?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

@RonInTexas

"I have also tried a Netgear PowerLine (AV1200) adapter, but have similar issues.  Also, the AT&T STBs don't like the Netgear Powerline adapter, as they lose signals more often."

When you were using the powerline adapter, how exactly were you using it? The only AV1200 devices from Netgear that I see seem to be only one port, so you had to be somehow sharing it across multiple devices somehow. Were you still having problems with the powerline adapter when it was connected to *only* your xbox *or* your Samsung device? You do NOT want your receiver connected to any non-AT&T device that your internet devices are using. Most non-AT&T routers/switches, etc. do not handle multicast traffic very well and will basically flood the network.

What is the model of your wireless gateway that you were provided? Do you happen to also have a wireless AP for the wireless receiver(models VEN401,VEN501, or VAP2500)? If you do, you will want to try to move the wireless AP as far away from the gateway as possible. How many bars is your wireless receiver showing when it's working?

Have you also tried putting all of your internet devices(Xbox, Samsung system, etc.) on the gateway's 2.4 GHz radio(do not touch the wireless receiver) to see if the problems persist?

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

My XBOX 360 and Samsung Home Theater only work off the 2.4GHz radio....I have utilized a program "Netspot" that indicates signal strength, and both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio signals drop off significantly (about 25% lower - from 80% signal to 50% signal) when entering the living room (it is only 12 feet down a hall).  There are sharp down spikes (down to 0% signal) every 5-10 minutes on the AT&T Router.

I have a 5286AC router from AT&T.

The AP is about 10 feet from the Router and sits about 3 feet lower.

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

Also, I have 7 computers that use the internet, a bluray player, a home theater system, a XBOX 360 as well as two phones.  The first port from the router goes to a switch that has 3 computers connected.  The second port from the router goes to a switch that has 3 more computers connected.  The third port goes directly to the DVR.  The forth port goes to the wireless AP.

For wireless, I have the XBOX, Home Theater and bluray player connected to the 2.4GHz radio and 2 phones and 1 laptop connected to the 5GHz radio.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

@RonInTexas

Let me make sure I understand this correctly.

All wired devices are fine.

You didn't mention the phones, laptop, and blu-ray player in your original post. Are they working fine or also experiencing the same issues as the Xbox/Samsung home theater system? Are the devices in that one room(the Xbox/Samsung) the *only* ones having issues on wireless?

When you used the Asus router(was the wireless on the gateway shut off?), the devices worked fine, but had weak connections, so they would sometimes buffer? What was happening with the wireless receiver during this time? Was it still having issues or(I? would probably be even more stumped if it didn't).

Not really sure why you were having problems with the powerline adapters unless you have really old wiring. Did you try using it while only connecting either the Xbox *or* home theater system for the reasons I mentioned above, no clue if you already returned it.

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

The other devices don't stream video - so it wasn't noticeable before.  Tonight I ran a 50' ethernet cable, and still experienced a drop from MLB.TV.  Sounds like I need to contact support and see what is going on....it may not have been the wireless at all....

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

@RonInTexas

Know it sounds silly, but have you tried rebooting just to rule that out?

Not really sure what the problem is, hopefully it is figured out. Maybe there's something wrong with the gateway, who knows.

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

The "reboot process" requires to power down the two STB's, reset the router (wait 3-5 minutes), power up the DVR (wait 3-5 minutes), power up the wi-fi AP (wait 3-5 minutes), power up the wi-fi STB (wait 3-5 minutes), then power up the PC's and other devices.  I have done it many times.  Usually, the system is working good for at least 24 hours....never seems to fail after the reboot when the techs are here.  If I am lucky, it may go 2-3 days.

I am noticing that the wi-fi STB seems to start having problems, and then it cascades across the network.  PC's are slower, XBOX loses connectivity, etc....

I have been reading up on Direct TV vs. Uverse TV, and it seems like AT&T has had many problems with the Uverse platform for TV - and are pushing people to Direct TV.  I was "stuck" with Time Warner Cable for 4 years....begging AT&T to come to my area....I purchased a home in a neighborhood where AT&T was located specifically to get this service.  When it works - it is great....far beyond anything TWC offered.

I am just wondering if it is possible to "segment" the network, so that my PC's, laptops, XBOX, etc., all use one "homerun" and the Uverse uses the second "homerun" (this would eliminate traffic causing the other side to fail)?

I know most people don't utilize the number of computers that I do, or have the demands of the service that I do....But my thinking was with a fiber optic network, I would have plenty of bandwidth to "power" all my devices.

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

BTW - I have removed the powerline adapter and the ASUS router to ensure that those are not contributors to the issue.  I do have three Netgear GS108 switches (non-managed) utilized in the network for PC's (there is one in my computer room, one in my wife's computer room and one by the living room TV for the XBOX/Home Theater).

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

@RonInTexas

I was thinking it was possibly a problem with your setup causing multicast to flood the network, but by initial looks, it didn't seem like it was a problem. Have you tried powering off(pulling the power) all of your U-verse TV receivers and running streaming services to see if the problems keep happening?

I suppose maybe you could have a damaged fiber optic cable causing the issues, but I don't really see that all that often, so kind of ruling that out.

U-verse TV doesn't really have many problems, the reason why AT&T wants more people on DirecTV is due to the lower programming costs if I understand correctly.

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

The latest configuration, I removed the UverseTV wi-fi adapter, and ran the remote box via ethernet to the bedroom (it was using wireless in the livingroom).  I put the DVR back on the coax connection (it was using an ethernet connection in the bedroom) in the livingroom.  Now, the wi-fi signals are quite a bit better in the livingroom, both STBs are functioning perfectly.

The wi-fi adapter was either defective, or was causing interference with the wi-fi signals in the livingroom.  The wireless STB was always a bit "flaky"....now it is running at full speed.

My wife is ready to kill me with all the "reconfiguring" of the network.....LOL.  Hopefully now it levels out and plays nice.

Darknessrise

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

6 y ago

@RonInTexas

It sounds like an odd multicast issue in some way. Maybe there was some sort of malfunction happening. Usually those kinds of issues happen when you connect U-verse TV related equipment behind switches or another devices(that don't handle multicast well), but from your posts, I remember reading that you had direct Ethernet to the gateway for applicable receivers and the wireless receiver WAP. So, I'm just really stumbled lol.

I was also thinking about interference originally, but I wasn't really sure why it would be affecting 2.4 GHz so much and your powerline adapters.

Let me know how it goes(if it keeps going well or goes bad) as I am curious. Hopefully it stays that way.

It's always best to wire up receivers. Preferably, the DVR should be on Ethernet(direct to gateway), but if that helps you fix your issues, then go right ahead with the coax option.

"

My wife is ready to kill me with all the "reconfiguring" of the network.....LOL."

Smiley Tongue

RonInTexas

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 y ago

I watched my Indians lose on MLB.TV, and on the wi-fi connection (2.4GHz on the XBOX), and it lost connection once (previously on wi-fi I would lose connection 10+ times and deal with tons of buffering issues), and it buffered a couple of times.  It performed better than it ever has, even compared to the powerline adapter (buffering issues often and 2-3 lost connections) and ethernet (it lost connections 3 times on the last game I watched). 

Both the Samsung Home Theater and XBOX connect immediately to the wi-fi, no issues, and good speed.  I took the laptop around, and noticed that wi-fi signals were much higher throughout the house (netspot reports signals in the good range everywhere). 

No dropped signals on either receiver (wife was watching TV in bedroom, I was flipping back and forth in the livingroom between the TV and MLB.TV). 

So, I am wondering if the issue was a defective wi-fi module, the proximity of the wi-fi module to the router (they were about 8' apart) or the wi-fi STB was having difficulty in the connection, which created issues with network traffic.

Bottom line - "If it works, don't fix it." 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.